Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please and comments regarding NEW MODEM

sgreener
Grafter

Advice please and comments regarding NEW MODEM

Hi All, 

I’ve been a customer since 2017 subscribed to the Unlimited Fibre Extra. Which I find totally acceptable.

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM sat in its box here for over a year. I now feel the need to have this up and running. I have far to many devices now for the Hub one I think it is to cope  

i have in the past set it up Linksys Router with a cheapo BT Open reach modem from eBay, a Huawei Echolife HG612 3B and TBH was very disappointed. I put this down to the modem and the fact that I just don’t have time to research what’s going on.

Anyway I’ve Checked about the net and forum and seem drawn to the Draytek Vigor 130. Nows the time to invest some time into researching my errors and investing a little time for this subject .

So if you can advise me or have any comments or suggestions, one would be most grateful.

Regards, Steven.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice please and comments regarding NEW MODEM

Welcome to the Forum @sgreener Funny

If you’re been looking around you’ll see that I recommend the Draytek, but you really need to elaborate on your intentions so we can provide you with the appropriate information. All I get from the post is that you're looking to swap your router and replace your modem!

sgreener
Grafter

Thanks for your interest in helping me here.

Yeah, simply put new modem and router. 

Just the amount of devices I have now seems to bog down the WiFi on the hub one every now and again. 

I've a gaming rig and gave that up about a year ago as I could just not get support from Plusnet as their router works spot on. 

Maybe I'm wrong, I don’t know. 

I purchased a Linksys WRT3200ACM with a couple of AC dongles and it killed my internet connection. I ended up boxing the kit back up and going back to hub one and that was that. 

Couple of weeks ago I obtained eBay Openreach modem and with the Linksys router killed my internet connection. Both WiFi and lan. So I’m back to square one. 

So looking to invest in a decent modem and get my teeth into the subject. Just need the right modem I guess. I can’t just keep purchasing modems if I have an issue.

After a little research I found the Draytek modem and thought I’d ask if an other users could advise or point me in the right direction.

Thanks again for your interest and time. What information should I be posting whilst asking for advice?

Steven.

happybunny
Grafter

I’m a big fan of Draytek kit and have installed this on a number of plus net connections.

one word of caution is you will need to spend several hours setting it up correctly to meet your needs. Yes it is expensive but for overall reliability and connection stability it is excellent kit.

i run the 2860 with a separate access point AP900 for WiFi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have the budget and are looking to replace the Router then again a Draytek device would be my choice. I have a 2925 and it works seemlessly with the 130, as you’d expect. There are lots of things in it that you can tweak but for the most you can leave it factory.

I see you (were) a gamer, and I also see a lot of complaints about people using ‘the wrong type of NAT’. Both of my sons have XBox, PlayStation and PCs and they can play online using any combination of the aforementioned without issue. You do not need to resort to the UPnP / DMZ (so called) solution as is mentioned elsewhere. Simply get yourself some decent kit.

As for additional information, maybe the number and type of devices, how they connect, Wireless / Wired and how you consume the bandwidth you have comes to mind, though not compulsory Smiley

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I am more concerned about your comments about previous attempts killing the internet.

If you could not get the Linksys working with an Openreach modem, changing to a Draytek will further complicate the configuration.

sgreener
Grafter

Thanks for you thoughts and comments...

My WiFi download and upload speeds halved when I setup the openreach modem with the Linksys Router. I left it setup like this for a week. I can’t remember LAN speeds.

I also setup the openreach modem with the hub one wan port and I experienced the same speeds over WiFi. Again I can’t remember LAN speeds.

All settings apart from Plusnet details I left at default on both hub/router. I did however split WiFi 2.4 and 5GHz on both.

On the plus side, and for anyone interested, I was obtaining a rock solid 1.2GHz file transfer over a small WiFi network which I was astounded. That was with the WRT 3200ACM router and a couple of AC dongles.

So perhaps I have an issue with the openreach modem. I still have that modem but would like to move away from that if possible.

Any more thoughts?

Regards, Steven.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The Hub 1 WAN port is used when you want to use a modem, you should have plugged the Linksys into a Lan port.

If you WiFi speeds were slower last time, they won't improve with a different modem.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I use the Draytek 130 coupled to a TP-Link router without any issues. But like @Mustrum  I'm a bit concerned when you mention kit killed your internet connection. Baring any fault, nothing should 'kill' your connection. It might run slower than optimal but kill to me means dead! I've had issues in the past where I couldn't connect due to naff passwords (I'd recently changed it but strange to say switching back to the old password got it running ok again).

But if speed is that important you do need to spend some money on decent kit. I could have doubled the amount I spent but that would have been overkill for what I use the internet connection for. Funny enough you mention the  BT modem, that seems to connect better than the Draytek on my setup but as it was getting on a bit, time to let it have a rest - kept as a spare.

One thing I have found that seems to increase reliability, connection wise, is fitting a small UPS. Haven't had any downtime since I fitted it - 18 months ago. But that's more money!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
sgreener
Grafter

I have doubts about the openreach modem I purchased from eBay tbh.

I have ordered the draytek Vigor 130 this afternoon. Should be here in day or two.

I’d love to get this linksys up and running.

I shall post when it arrives and I get it online. Hopefully should I get stuck you guys can help me out.

Thanks again.

Regards, Steven.
sgreener
Grafter

I’ll give this a go if I get a bit of time when back home.

This did cross my mind but was unsure.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Regards, Steven.