Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on choosing a router to use as a VPN server

CamdenGuy
Hooked

Advice on choosing a router to use as a VPN server

Hi,
I have been with plusnet (fibre optic) now a few months and very happy with service etc.
In the past I have always used my own ADSL modem/router rather than the company supplied modem. At the moment however I am using the PlusNet supplied technicolor router; whilst as a freebie it has done a reasonable job I do find the wireless struggles to get to the top floor of the house and the user interface is really not that great to use. More importantly it does not meet my needs in terms of its functionality.
Up until last year I have always been a fan of Netgear and virtually every modem/router I have owned in the last 15 years has been one. The last two routers I owned (a DGN3500 and DGN2200v4) have really been very disappointing; the DGN2200v4 keeps crashing and the DGN3500 had real problems connecting devices wirelessly. The result being that I have now gone right off Netgear and am looking for a router from a different supplier if possible.
In terms of price I am happy to pay over £100+VAT if that gets me a reliable router that meets my needs. In terms of functionality the key things I am looking for are:
1. Good wireless range, we have a 4 story house and I need something that will reach up two floors. I am not particularly concerned about having the fastest WiFi as most devices are connected by GBit cable via a G-Bit (Netgear GS108T) switch.
2. An isolated guest WiFi SSID  would be useful
3. A VPN server so I can connect to my QNAP NAS and local PC when I am away on business and (most importantly) be able to stream BBC iPlayer and Netflix to my iPad or laptop in my hotel room when I am out of the country!
4. A user interface that is not going to drive me nuts
5. It would be nice to have a box the replaced both the BT modem and the Plusnet router, but that is a "nice to have" not an essential
I have been thinking of the Draytek 2830n or the Asus RT-AC68U but I have very little experience of setting up a VPN much less any potential pitfalls in trying to stream Netflix and iPlayer though it. Obviously I would like to try and avoid any expensive mistakes.
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice to offer?
thanks in advance.
Jasper.

7 REPLIES 7
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Advice on choosing a router to use as a VPN server

The following link may give you some ideas for combined vdsl modem routers.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0
I suggest reading the following before considering a Asus for vdsl.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14399.225
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

From what I can see the only one in that combined modem/router list that has decent VPN server support is the ASUS DSL-AC68U. The DSL-N66U has basic PPTP server support only.
I have been thinking of the Draytek 2830n or the Asus RT-AC68U
both of those have VPN server support
Other than that, I've not used either so really can't comment on the other aspects. I do have a Draytek 2820 in the office but I only use it's VPN tunnel facilities and not it's server support.
Hope that helps
@CamdenGuy , what sort of upload speed are you achieving on your connection ? that's going to be a major governing factor for streaming via VPN.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CamdenGuy
Hooked

Quote from: MisterW
@CamdenGuy , what sort of upload speed are you achieving on your connection ? that's going to be a major governing factor for streaming via VPN.

I am getting 17.5 mb/s upload speeds (and 79.72 download) which I assume should be fine for streaming.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, that should be fine.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Could use the VPN on the NAS, and have a wider choice of router.
http://www.qnap.com/index.php?lang=en&sn=4353
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You might find this useful if you do want to try that http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55835

CamdenGuy
Hooked

Quote from: MisterW
You might find this useful if you do want to try that http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55835

Thanks for that. I had completely overlooked the fact that my QNAP TS-419P had a VPN server. It was very easy to set up, the only issues I had was difficultly in getting the Technicolor router to forward the VPN port to the QNAP device. I resolved it after about 30 minutes of messing around and most of the problems were down to the dodgy user interface.
I tested it this morning and was able to stream iplayer and NetFlix to my tablet from a coffee shop wifi via the VPN connection.
I will see how I get on next month when I am working in Milan for a few days.
I will certainly put off making a decision on a new router depending on how well this works.
Thanks again.
Jasper.