Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed with changing home network hardware configuration

bigshorty40
Grafter

Advice needed with changing home network hardware configuration

Hi All

Did post this query on the software / hardware section of the forum, but it's probably best suited to this section.

I'd like some advice on a query I have regarding changing my network setup, and hoping some of you might be able able to help.

I'm currently using the Plusnet Hub One, but I'd like to experiment with having a separate modem and separate router configuration, so I'm able to mess about with router settings without upsetting the sync between the modem and my internet connection.

Thing is I've heard that when you change a setup that requires you to disconnect from your internet connection, that the DLM, ISP, or whatever, can consider this as a disconnection and can cause a drop in download / upload speeds. With past experience, and doing this with my last ISP, I've noticed this to be the case. I've also heard that to avoid this disconnection error and drop in speeds that a certain amount of time must be left before connecting the modem / router back up to the phone socket / internet connection, I was told by someone to wait at least 10 minutes.

Can any of you guys please explain to me if this statement is true or not, and if so, how long I should wait before I connect my equipment back to my internet connection after making any changes?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Advice needed with changing home network hardware configuration

Moderator's note:

Thread unlocked.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you reboot the router, the modem is likely to consider the dropping of the WAN connection as a disconnection.

So it might be cheaper to get yourself a fibre connection, which is a lot less fragile than DSL.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

With a separate modem and router, the router operation should not affect the modem sync, only the ISP session. Without losing sync, the DLM will have no reason to intervene and the connection should be unchanged when the router restarts.

Whether a separate modem and router or combined modem/router is used, the DLM does not usually intervene unless there are repeated disconnections (sync drops) over a short(ish) period or large numbers of transmission errors occur whilst in sync.

I don't recall having problems with two or three modem reboots in a short time.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
bigshorty40
Grafter

Cheers for the replies Guys, albeit with conflicting views.

As far as I was aware, and was also told by an acquaintance who is quite technically minded, router restarts shouldn't be seen as a disconnection on the line when using separate modem and router, but I could be wrong.

Phil, you mentioned the DLM does not usually intervene unless there are repeated disconnections (sync drops) over a short(ish) period or large numbers of transmission errors occur whilst in sync. I was wondering what would constitute as a large number of transmission errors? Are you perhaps referring to FEC errors?