cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding or Replacing the Existing Fibre (to the cabinet) Router

OldRaft
Grafter

Adding or Replacing the Existing Fibre (to the cabinet) Router

I have the standard flat on the desk modem and separate standing up vertical on top of the modem, router a Sagecom 2704N. 

The general router signal is poor and keep dropping out even at a distance of twenty feet so I would like to try an alternative OR add another router.

Which option is possible/practical?

7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Adding or Replacing the Existing Fibre (to the cabinet) Router

Virtually any (cable type) Router of your choice will do. I expect a few people will come along and make suggestions. Depending on your budget (and maybe how long you've had FTTC) you might want to consider one of the newer combined Modem/Routers. Plusnet are currently providing a "Hub One" which is essentially at BT Home Hub Type A with Plusnet branding. Generally you can negotiate for one with Customer Options for a new Contract and postage, but you may not want to be tied like that. Sometimes they are for sale on eBay.

Modem/Routers that quite a few people like are the Billion 8800NL & AXL, there's some Asus ones, and a few TP-Link that some like (personally I've never liked TP-Link). But if you go for a combined one, make sure it's an approved type and is vDSL compatible

OldRaft
Grafter

Thanks for that.   I will probably keep the existing "modem"  as this allows a separate router.  So from your suggestion I can replace this router with one of my own choice.

The connection between the existing modem and router is, or looks like, Ethernet so I'm assuming that the ADSL compatible part of your answer does not apply in this case?   i.e.  This only applies if I'm replacing the modem itself.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Correct, but vDSL compatible part not ADSL. Yes it is an Ethernet connection from the Modem to the Router, so any Router of your own choice to meet whatever local Network requirements you have.

OldRaft
Grafter

I may have asked this question before so consideration please for fading memory!

As previously noted I have a separate "modem" and router on a fibre  to the cabinet install.

I would like to keep the existing wireless router a Plusnet supplied SageMcom 2704N  but ADD a second router.

I assume I could just plug this into an existing Ethernet port in the router above.

I appreciate that I would have to change the DHCP range but otherwise will this work?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A more apposite question is Why as the answer may well guide the response to the original question

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@OldRaft wrote:

would like to keep the existing wireless router a Plusnet supplied SageMcom 2704N  but ADD a second router.

Why? What are you hoping to gain from adding a second router?

If you just want an additional wifi point then buy a WAP. If you need more network sockets just buy a switch.

The only thing a second router would bring to the table is a second LAN which is an unusual requirement.

OldRaft
Grafter

A bit like climbing (mountains)  "because it's there"

Because I want to try it, because I'm interested to know what is special about the WAN port (which is the usual connection to the router, but obviously in use connected to the original supplied router), because I don't want to disturb the working router used by other people in the house when I try different configurations, etc. etc.