cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding extension to master socket

stevewaterhouse
Hooked

Adding extension to master socket

I have added an extension socket to a 5c master socket, about 5 metres away. I have used the connector on the front plate to connect the three wires of my extension cable (blue, orange, white with blue flecks). I have connected the other end to the extension but am not getting a signal when I connect my router to the extension.
Note: the extension socket is a screw terminal model. Can anyone help?
15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Adding extension to master socket

@stevewaterhouse  Welcome to the forum.

This is not a good idea but if you must do it: Is it a filtered face plate? If so it will not work is you have taken the extension from the phone section of the filter. If it's just for the router you need 5m away you should get an extension lead with RJ11 connectors and plug it into the DSL output of the filter.

Alternatively you should use a non filtered faceplate and put a dangly filter on the end of the extension. If you do this it is undesirable to use the master socket for a phone. If you must use it you must fit another a dangly filter and hope that it doesn't affect your speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi you only require two wires, connection should be pins 5 and 2 on the 5c master socket  and the same on the extension if numbered, wire colours don't matter as long as you use the same colour both ends

stevewaterhouse
Hooked

Hi and thank you.

Why is it not a good idea sorry? I need the router closer to the tv
stevewaterhouse
Hooked

Will it matter if I’ve done all 3?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the Forum  @stevewaterhouse

This may help check you have not crossed the wires over to wrong numbered connections

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/Telephone%20Wiring.htm

HD

Den1
Rising Star

Pin 3, the centre one was used for the old bell phones so that they would ring if left connected it can induce noise on the line which is picked up by your broadband connection leading to unreliable broadband, it is best left disconnected   

stevewaterhouse
Hooked

Okay so disconnect from both ends?

Also, it being a screw terminal must I strip the wire back?
Den1
Rising Star

Yes and Yes

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

It's a bad idea as the extension wiring may decrease your broadband speed due to increased interference.

Why don't you just buy a 5 metre ethernet cable and use that to connect your router to your TV - a much better solution.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@stevewaterhouse 

It's much easier to offer help if you answer questions.

Do you have a filtered faceplate, that's one that has two sockets marked something like DSL and Phone? If so connecting to the terminals designed for phone extensions will not work.

As @flanzm  advises running an Ethernet cable to the TV is a far better solution unless: Are you connecting your router to TV over a wireless link and what you really have is a wireless problem? If so then this may open up a different approach to your problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stevewaterhouse
Hooked

Hi yes I do have that faceplate, so that’s my problem?

I would run an Ethernet cable but by my tv is also games machines, streaming boxes etc that all need cabling so I want the router on that side of the room.

Thank you so much for your help so far. What do you suggest to sort it?
stevewaterhouse
Hooked

WAIT, I’ve figured it out. I’ll just do away with the extension socket and run a dsl cable over to the other side of the room where my entertainment it. Which I think is what you suggested. So thanks!
newagetraveller
Pro

"Pin 3, the centre one was used for the old bell phones"

Not strictly correct. It was used for a separate extension bell, wired between 3 and 5. e.g. phone in hallway out of earshot, extra bell in garden shed.  The old "bell" phones still ring. I have one (black Bakelite) which does ring on an extension socket with only 2 and 5 connected.

Is there not a "networking" connection incorporated on the split faceplate if the braodband only is needed on an extension?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Is there not a "networking" connection incorporated on the split faceplate if the braodband only is needed on an extension?

Yes, there's an unfiltered connection block on the rear of the faceplate, as opposed to the normal filtered(telephone) extension block on the backplate. Strange isn't it, you'd expect the unfiltered one on the backplate!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.