Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual rate much lower than attainable on FTTC

Racalman
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Actual rate much lower than attainable on FTTC

I've just had my upload speed wound up from 1Mb/s to 10Mb/s (thanks plusnet Cool) but my actual download speed is lower than I would expect. I am 900m from the cabinet where the fibre terminates.

Can anyone interpret the attached line stats from my Draytek router for me please?

4 REPLIES 4
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Actual rate much lower than attainable on FTTC

Your DLM (Digital line management) profile will have reset when Plusnet applied the upload speed increase. It looks like G.INP (retransmission rt.x) isn't switched on which is probably what has caused the initial drop in download speed.

The Severe error seconds are quite high so it has applied lots of interleaving on the downstream and increased the target SNR to 7db to stabilize the line. 

I would wait and see if DLM figures out that it needs G.INP again and see what happens. According to post 3 in this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/G-INP-suddenly-gone-from-line/td-p/1324126 it may take DLM up to 48 hours to figure out that it needs to add G.INP to improve your line.

Racalman
Grafter

Thanks, I'll give it a few days and see what happens.

Incidentally, what download speed should I expect at 900m from the cabinet?

My house was built in the 1970s and we still have the old LJU style master socket. Would that affect the download speed?

Mike

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If you check your phone number against the following it should give an idea.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Racalman
Grafter

Thanks Brian. Results attached.

Download speed today is 23Mb/s.

Perhaps I have an impacted line? I know the estate was built with aluminium cables but I thought they had all been replaced by now. Would the surge supressor in the old master socket affect download but not upload speeds?

Mike