cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation today - maybe?

metdenmar
Dabbler

Activation today - maybe?

Existing Plusnet customer upgrading from ADSL (Thomson Gateway TG 585 V7) to 38Mb Fibre. I've received my Hubone but that's still in the box.
What should I do - if I continue with the Thomson will it stop working when the upgrade happens so that I know I can change over OR should I plug in the HubOne now and wait for speeds to increase when activated.
No advice from Plusnet since email on 5th Feb telling me my activation date had been put back to 22nd Feb.
Thanks for any advice.
Denis
13 REPLIES 13
scottymc
Grafter

Re: Activation today - maybe?

Buddy just plug the new hubone in it will work with your adsl and re-sync to fibre once the upgrade is done.
You may need to drop the connection for it to re-sync..I did when I upgraded.
metdenmar
Dabbler

Thanks - how do I resync please - by switching the HubOne off/on?
Denis
metdenmar
Dabbler

OK, I've now connected HubOne and getting normal ADSL speed (3Mb Down/ 0.5 Up) .
What happens next - Openreach engineer comes to cabinet (about 70 yds away), changes some wires, reports to Plusnet who upgrade my profile and email me - is that about right in simplistic terms?
Denis
nadger
Rising Star

Resists temptation to say grab camping chair and flask of coffee and sit and wait by cabinet for Openreach van  Wink
My connection dropped when engineer started to move wiring,
I turned off router and left it for a while before turning back on.
I did get email to say upspeed had been reset at 2Mbps
Connection needed to work to get email
Is appointment am or pm?
metdenmar
Dabbler

This is a self instal installation - I've not had any notice of an appointment for the engineer to visit the cabinet - all I had was :
"Our supplier have advised that your broadband activation date has been changed to 22/02/2016." and this was an email dated 5th Feb.
Denis
nadger
Rising Star

My self-install notification did say pm - I was also fortunate that engineer phoned and popped round.
Looks like you're intending to be at home so wait until connection drops.
metdenmar
Dabbler

That was kind of him.
Plusnet haven't given me any indication of what time it's going to happen and I need to go to town this afternoon. Could any Plusnet staff reading this give me an estimated time for the upgrade so that I might arrange to be at home?
Denis
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'll be wasting your time there. Plusnet won't have access to an OR Engineer's Schedule so I think you'll have to take your chances.
metdenmar
Dabbler

I wonder what's going on as I've just received an email from Plusnet as follows :
"The order we placed to change your upload speed has completed.
Your upload speed is now 2Mbit/s."
Is this my Fibre upgrade ?? upload increased from 0.5 to 2 Mbit/s and NO change to download speed.
Denis
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep your order has completed. You'll probably need to perform a single disconnect/reconnect to see the faster speeds, try that and let us know how it's looking.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
metdenmar
Dabbler

Yes looking OK - 37.6 down and 1.89 up.
I'm a bit disappointed in the Up speed but I see that Plusnet cut the upload speed drastically for new customers last year. Is that all new fibre customers? - as I don't consider myself a new Plusnet customer, having been with them for donkey's years - in fact I was with Metronet when Plusnet took them over.
Denis
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. I'm sorry if you were expecting a faster upload speed. Just like to confirm that all new fibre installations (both new and existing customers) now contracting on the Unlimited Fibre package do have the capped upload speed. The Extra package uncaps the speed of both download and upload, so that you'll experience the full line speed.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
metdenmar
Dabbler

Thanks everyone for help on this topic - been a while since I used the Forums and help/advice is just as good as ever.
Thanks Plusnet for providing this great service Smiley
Denis