cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activated but no internet

mrcslttr
Hooked

Activated but no internet

I switched to broadband after waiting six weeks for Vodafone to activate my broadband to no avail. I now appear to be having the same issue with plusnet. Yesterday I received texts and emails to say my fibre broadband is ready to go. My router has been plugged in for 24 hours and still has an orange light and flashing red b light. I keep getting told by the call centre to wait until after midnight. Well, the activation day was yesterday so why do I need to wait another day? They have happily taken my money already. I've tried changing passwords etc but on the router settings I'm told the line is disconnected. I've had no internet since November and nobody at Vodafone or now plusnet seems to be able to tell me why I can't get broadband. Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Activated but no internet

First and foremost, do you have a dial tone?
mrcslttr
Hooked

Yep, I have a dial tone. Tried plugging the router into the test socket as well which makes no difference
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ok . 

First of all is your phone line working?

For broadband to work you need a working phone line with no faults . Is there a dial tone ? If no then report a fault to the company you pay line rental to.

If yes, Is there any noise on the line? Dial 17070 to check . If there's is noise then report a fault to the company you pay line rental to.

if no noise or fault found  then check the point where the phone line enters the property where there should be a master socket . Check your microfilter and house phone cabling which needs to be 100 % ok. Plug your router into the master socket . More info on this is given here. 

https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

If all the above checks out ok then it's time to badger plus net . You may need an engineer visit. They will tell you there may be a charge but if you have carried out all the above and can be certain there is no problem with the phone line and you have checked your internal phone cabling then you won't be charged. 

Good luck 

mrcslttr
Hooked

The phone line is absolutely fine
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Okay if the phone line is alright  and there is no noise it's time to log into your router  and see what it says. Is your plus net username and password correctly entered? 

The router  is designed to set up automatically but sometimes auto set up doesn't work. Your username should be in the format "username@plusdsl.net" 

mrcslttr
Hooked

This is all set up ok as well. I now have an engineer coming on Tuesday to investigate.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @mrcslttr

I'm sorry to hear things haven't gone to plan.

Can you let us know how the engineer visit tomorrow morning goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mrcslttr
Hooked

Will do
mrcslttr
Hooked

So, just to update, it turns out that the engineer who came on December 9th never actually connected me to the cabinet. Nearly two months without internet because of one numpty from Openreach. Plusnet were quick to get things sorted out though so thanks to them, Vodafone didn't have a clue what was going on!

runhare
Aspiring Pro

The OR engineer that was meant to connect your line to  fibre  on Dec 9th  will probably have connected somebody else to vodaphone Fibre  in error. This can happen because of incorrect records and line identification and sometimes requires a tracer signal to be run from your property to the cabinet.  As far as I understand it, when you were due to be connected to Plus Net, there would have been a need for an OR engineer to come and make connection adjustments in the fibre cabinet anyway.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for the update, I'm glad to hear we got this fixed quickly for you.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet