cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentally Put A Cap On My Line

russellhq

Accidentally Put A Cap On My Line

I was moving my router at the weekend to another location in the house but it meant I was having to unplug it and plug it back in multiple times, meaning multiple disconnects and resyncs. I think this was picked up as a fault by the DLM and I now have a cap on my line.  I used to be able to connect at over 60mbps (65 iirc) but now i'm limited to 54999bps downstream speeds. I also used to get 20mbps up but that's also dropped to 17000bps.

7 REPLIES 7
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Accidentally Put A Cap On My Line

Hi @russellhq,

I've taken a look into your account today and upon testing your line I'm not seeing any cap/banding in place, although I can see that the Downstream Sync Rate is currently performing at 52.6Mbps, which is well below your estimated line speeds. Before we go any further, please could you confirm where you moved the router to within the property and if you have been able to test the speeds whilst it is set up within the test socket? For reference, if you haven't set the router up within the test socket previously, a guide on how you can do this can be found here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
russellhq

Thanks Alex for taking the time to look at my line.

I've not tested the router speeds from the master socket. I will give that a go tonight. Am I right in thinking that I should wait at least 30 minutes between disconnecting and reconnecting the modem to avoid the DLM doing anything unnecessary?

Also, after I moved the modem and noticed the lower sync rates, I moved it back to the original socket (not master), removed the extension wiring for the new location and tried syncing again but I still got the low sync speed. So this makes me think it's not the extension which is affecting things. The master socket test should help though.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @russellhq

It's not something that we recommend when going through diagnostics. When it comes to drops in the connection we usually go by 3 drops within 24 hours or 6 drops in a 72 period before DLM will make changes to try improving stability of the line.

I have increased the connection profile on your account to the maximum estimated for the line to ensure that when you connect to the test socket nothing can possibly limit speed you see when it is retested.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
russellhq

Thanks @Jubby and @TheMightyAJ

I connected my modem straight into the master socket and it's made no difference to my sync speeds. They are still 54999bps Down and 17000bps Up

I tried a differnet filter just in case, but I still get the same result.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear that.

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
russellhq

Thanks, I've submitted the fault report so will see what happens next.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @russellhq 

I have updated this ticket with further information and our next steps. 

Thanks, 

MoR