cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmal fibre speed

steen19
Hooked

Abysmal fibre speed

Sorry if this is the wrong place to request help with this, but i'd thought i'd ask here as the live chat is always offline, and i don't feel like wasting a few hours on the phone.

I was a new plusnet fibre customer starting in late July last year. For the first month or so the download speed was fine, usually around 35mbps. But month after month it has slowly been deteriorating until it is where it's at now, 3.8mbps which is barely usable and is miles below the guaranteed minimum of 30.9mbps.

Nothing has changed about the setup of the router or the computers/devices in the house.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Abysmal fibre speed

Hi.

So, first question here is are you testing wired or wifi?
If it's wifi, are you able to check the wired speeds with an ethernet connection? If not, or if ethernet is fine, then it's likely wifi interference, and the first step will be to change wifi channels and bands to find the best signal for you. If you know how to access your router management pages already, you'll find what you want in the advanced wifi settings. I'll mot write everything out here, but if you need help with this, there' a guide to all this at

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

You just need to select the router you have and there's an option for checking and changing wifi settings which shows you how to do it.

If the wired speed is poor, or there's no improvement in the channel changes you may have a line fault. You'll want to run the in home checks first-I know nothing has changed but if it's in home and an engineer goes out you could be charged, so always worth making sure-things can and do wear out. Again, theres a guide at

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/
though long story short its check the phone is quiet, and connect to your test socket if you already know how to do this.

If this doesn't help, report a fault at

faults.plus.net
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Welcome to the Forum @steen19 

Chat doesn't work any longer which is why you didn't get anywhere with it.

Is this your speed on a wired connection to the router? Rather than on a wifi connection? If so, it is probably worth your while running the Plusnet Broadband troubleshooter http://faults.plus.net/ That logs a fault and Plusnet will look at it.

Alternatively, one of the Plusnet people who are active in the Forum may pick up your post and run tests to see what is happening.

Please let us know how you get on.

If it is a wifi problem, again come back as people will be able to offer advice on what to try.

steen19
Hooked

Thanks for your relpy.

Whether it's through ethernet or using wifi on a PC 2 floors above the router, the speed is the same on both.

BrightonRock
Pro

Well if you have the poor speed on a wired connection then I think you should report a fault. It cost you nothing - except a bit of time - it makes Plusnet aware and gets your problem into the faults queue at Plusnet.

steen19
Hooked

Have done, cheers.

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @steen19

I can see that you have now raised a fault.

Can you confirm that you have carried out the home checks and completed a wired speed test, connected via the test socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
steen19
Hooked

Yep, i have done all the home checks, however i'm unable to do a speed test via the test socket as it doesn't seem to work. When i connect to the test socket, the light on the router goes orange, and the broadband icon flashes red.

BrightonRock
Pro

Did you connect using a filter? Took me hours to work that out last time I had to connect to the test socket.

steen19
Hooked

Yep, tried different filters and none of them worked.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Do you have another socket? If it can connect with the plate on but not in the test that would suggest that's not actually the master socket. Chances are someone used a master socket for an extension in the past-happens quite a bit where pre filtered plates are used-people put in on an extension where they have the router.
steen19
Hooked

We do have an extension socket upstairs, but it's decades old and doesn't work. I'm pretty sure i was using the master socket, the one right next to the front door.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Might be worth giving it a shot. Quite possible that the upstairs one is the master, and at some point the downstairs socket was put in as extension. Weird set up but nit unheard of. I'd guess it wont have a test socket of it's that old, but if you just expose the test socket downstairs, then plug in upstairs and see if it connects that will confirm your master socket.

Edit

Just re-read your post! Never mind, if the upstairs socket is completely dead then clearly that's not the master. In that case you're done then. Wait for faults to pick it up, though it'll likely be an engineer job.