cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmal fibre broadband speed

BigRedSwitch
Dabbler

Abysmal fibre broadband speed

I'm on an unlimited fibre contract which states I'll get download speeds betweeb 38-40 Mbps. Really?  So how come I am getting a paltry 20Mbps today? I've been with Plusnet for a long time so I dont have a Guaranteed Access speed or whatever the terminology is.

Speed apart, I'm happy with Plusnet but my contract is up for renewal soon so getting me back up to speed would be a useful start in retaining my custom.

17 REPLIES 17
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Abysmal fibre broadband speed

In the fine print it probably says "up to 38Mbps"

Easiest way to check what your is capable of getting is to put your number into the DSL Checker. This is a starting point for talking to PlusNet.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

After the DSL checker, a view of the helpdesk tab from your router will show what speeds your router is connected at - sync speed, and what the line is capable of  max attainable speeds.

Its then down to how you are testing speeds, wired or WiFi, and the capability of your testing device.

BigRedSwitch
Dabbler

@bmc wrote:

In the fine print it probably says "up to 38Mbps"

Easiest way to check what your is capable of getting is to put your number into the DSL Checker. This is a starting point for talking to PlusNet.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

The confirmation email I received from Plusnet said: "38Mbps to 40Mbps.  This estimate is based on data provided by our supplier. Your actual speed will vary but should be within the estimated range - find out why your speed can vary."

I don't think it should vary by up to 50%

Is the DSL Checker valid for fibre connections?  Anyway, I used it and my phone line can expect very high speed connections.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

BigRedSwitch
Dabbler

@Mustrum wrote:

After the DSL checker, a view of the helpdesk tab from your router will show what speeds your router is connected at - sync speed, and what the line is capable of  max attainable speeds.

Its then down to how you are testing speeds, wired or WiFi, and the capability of your testing device.

Helpdesk tab?  Not familiar with that. I'm not using the Plusnet-provided router but a TP-Link one instead.  I used the Which? Broadband Speed checker to check my download speed.  I have seen speeds of up to 40 Mbps in the past.

bmc
Hero

The DSL Checker is not a speed test - it is an OpenReach site which tells you what is available on your line and what speeds can be expected.

Brian

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Some basic information that has already been asked for would enable people to help you. The TP Link will aso have the sync speed, and may also have the maximum attainable speeds.

The DSL checker will also let us know what speeds you should be expecting.

BigRedSwitch
Dabbler

I've logged into the router but I can't find anything calling itself the sync speed.

But I fear we are digressing from the real problem.  My current contract bgan in September 2016 and I would have checked then that I was getting the promised download speed.  My hardware is the same now as it was then so it points surely to Plusnet turning down the speed at their end?

By the way, is the DSL Checker the modern day equivalent of "Sam Says" that showed which ISP's had equipment in the local exchange?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

So what router do you have, perhaps people with a bit more technical knowledge can help?

Not sure why you are avoiding answering any of the questions, never heard of Sam Says, perhaps you mean Sam Knows.

The DSL checker is a very useful tool, and will at least show what speeds your line should be capable of.

Not sure if anyone can help if you don't want to at least try and give some basic info.

bmc
Hero

@BigRedSwitch

PlusNet don't throttle speeds. If you're getting less than expected then this points to a potential fault - either with your phone line or broadband service. If you contact PlusNet they will ask you to run various checks to rule out various things. Same on here if and when a staff member picks this thread up.

The DSL Checker simple tells you what products are available for your phone line and an estimated range of speeds. This is the first step in checking. You need this information.

Brian

BigRedSwitch
Dabbler

@Mustrum wrote:

So what router do you have, perhaps people with a bit more technical knowledge can help?

Not sure why you are avoiding answering any of the questions, never heard of Sam Says, perhaps you mean Sam Knows.

The DSL checker is a very useful tool, and will at least show what speeds your line should be capable of.

Not sure if anyone can help if you don't want to at least try and give some basic info.

My router is a TP-Link Archer C9 v1.0, AC1900 Wireless Dual Band.

I'm not trying to avoid giving any answers - I don't know where to find what you're asking.  I can run tools like DSL Checker but I don't know which bit of the information provided you need.

Yes, I did mean Sam Knows - don't know where Sam Says came to mind.

BigRedSwitch
Dabbler

Here's what DSL Checker reports:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 72.1 20 19 64.4 Available Available --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 67 20 19 55.8 Available Available --  
G.fast Range A (Clean) 330 330 50 37.1 317.8 Available Available --  
G.fast Range B (Impacted) 330 276.1 49.7 26.2 254.1 Available Available --  

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --  

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2 to 5.5 Available -- Yes  
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1.5 to 4.5 Available -- --  
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- Yes  
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
G.fast Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap N            
VRI --            
NTEFaceplate --            
Last Test Date --            

bmc
Hero

@BigRedSwitch

Although I believe you're on the "up to 38" service the DSL report is telling you you've basically got a very good phone line. It is giving a range of 72.1 - 80 for the "clean" line estimate.

As an aside, it's also saying superfast broadband (G.fast) is available though PlusNet do not currently offer this.

If you Login to PlusNet and look at the Help pages there is a section on checking for faults. This is your next step.

Brian

BigRedSwitch
Dabbler

Thanks Brian.  I'll look at the Help pages again.

bmc
Hero

@BigRedSwitch

One other thing previously mentioned - are you running your speed tests on a wired or WiFi connection. Wired is always best and if you contact PlusNet they'll ask you to do this.

If you're using WiFi then potentially your PlusNet connection could be fine.

Brian