cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely infuriated. Line speeds have been significantly impacted.

MarkC84
Dabbler

Absolutely infuriated. Line speeds have been significantly impacted.

Hi there,

I really need some advice here. For years, I enjoyed roughly 8/9/10mb upload and 80mb download, that was up until today when that all changed.

BT Openreach were messing with a duct near where our FTTC cabinet is this morning and whatever they have done,  my upload sync speed has reduced to 1.5mbps and download sync has reduced to 53mbps. Somehow, my attenuation has increased from 20db to 28db. It is as though they have added an extra mile on to the line. I am using a BT openreach Huawei HG612 to monitor stats using DSLstats.

Where do I stand with this? To be honest I am highly reliant on a decent upload speed for remote access and whatever they have done has now completely ruined this to the point my line is unusable for this purpose. Furthermore, I paid for the 80mbps package on the understanding that my line speed would support somewhere near this, but my download speed has now faced a 40% reduction, upload 90%. So in effect I am paying for a service that is a complete waste.

I am sorry but I don't see this as acceptable. My line has been fine for years until today, and they see fit to start messing and changing things without even giving a care in the world about cause and effect. Would it be possible for Plusnet to send an engineer out to look in to this?

Thanks,

Mark.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Absolutely infuriated. Line speeds have been significantly impacted.

There's no point in raising your blood pressure. These things do happen and no doubt it will be fixed for you. However Plusnet will probably require you to jump through the fault finding hoops at your end before reporting a fault to Openreach.

If it was me I would be doing a quiet line test and BTw speedtest now so that this is out of the way and there's no argument regarding where the fault is.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @MarkC84, I'm sorry to hear your speeds have dropped.

Testing the connection is flagging up a potential issue with the phone line. Initial tests suggest that an appointment should not be required at this time, so I'm raising this with our suppliers to investigate further for you.

I'll provide an update via the account once I've raised the fault report and our faults team will continue to monitor this and keep you updated moving forward.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MarkC84
Dabbler

Hi Harry, Thanks for this, I appreciate getting this turned around quickly and really hope that loss in quality of service is reverted back to how it should be. I am sorry for having a rant in my opening post, it's just I was taken back and angered on how a perfectly working line that has had years of problem free service has leapfrogged in to such a degraded state, it has been like flicking a lightswitch! I'd be very interested to know what Openreach have done - it seems highly likely that whatever work they were doing down the road is likely to be related to the sudden connection degradation. Unfortunately by the time this had happened, they had packed up and left before I get down there to inform them of the problem. Many thanks, Mark.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Mark. Thanks for getting back to us.

Once the engineer has been out and the fault has been fixed, feel free to let us know over here and we'll be happy to provide you with any notes that we're provided by the engineer. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet