cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to join PN

fred77
Rising Star

About to join PN

Just a couple of questions. Am switching from BT to PN soon. I use BT's Call Guardian phones with caller display enabled. Will Call Guardian still work with PN and their caller display?

Secondly, got the PN hub today. I currently have my PC plugged into a powerline socket and it works very well. When I install my new PN hub will I be able to setup the hub using my PC provided it is plugged into the powerline circuit as the BT hub is at present? I can't see why not.

Many thanks,

John

7 REPLIES 7
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: About to join PN

@fred77 wrote:

Will Call Guardian still work with PN and their caller display?

No but you can use PN own version "Plusnet Call Protect"

Can add this feature here  (login required) , you may need to be live before you can add this feature.

When I install my new PN hub will I be able to setup the hub using my PC provided it is plugged into the powerline circuit as the BT hub is at present?

Yes , although the hub with auto setup , although you may wish to log in and change features 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Do you already have a BT Home hub 5 or a Smart hub ?

The PlusNet hub one is basically a rebadged HH5 so should work just fine. In fact the BT HH5 and Smart hub can be used on a PlsuNet connection by simply configuring with your plsunet username & password

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fred77
Rising Star

I have a Smart Hub.  Would it be better to use this? If so not too sure how I go about it. Does it have to be factory reset?

Thanks.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I think the Smart Hub will give better wifi performance.

Reconfiguring it for PlusNet is pretty easy I believe , see this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/td-p/1349153/page/2

but in essence it seems to be

after accessing the Hub by  http://192.168.1.254, and going to  the Advanced Settings Box then select  Broadband/Internet/ VPS/ Dynamic DNS box)  You have to use the Disconnect button at the top of the browser page  after which the 2 boxes appear. Change the logon & password  to that of your plusnet one.   and select the  "Connect" button & this saves the changes.

Your PlusNet username is of the form <accountname>@plusdsl.net and the password is the same as the one used to access the member centre

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I have both a BT Smarthub 6 and Call Guardian phones. Both work absolutely fine with my Plusnet phone and fibre connection.

To set up the Smarthub I started with it only connected to a PC with no Internet connection. First start with a factory reset by inserting a paperclip in the reset hole. This can be slow so keep it pressed in for at least 20 seconds. Then log in to the web interface and set it up using instructions you will find in this forum. If you have problems then come back here as there are many who will help you.

I have also connected through Powerline devices and they work OK but not as good as wired Ethernet connections.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@ITWorks wrote:

@fred77 wrote:

Will Call Guardian still work with PN and their caller display?

No but you can use PN own version "Plusnet Call Protect"

@ITWorks

Hi Mike,

If @fred77 is referring to something like this - http://reviews.telephonesonline.co.uk/bt-8500-telephone-overview/ (known as BT Call Guardian phones) - where the call blocking is in the phone handset (as opposed to in the network) then the answer might be "yes" but possibly redundant if Plusnet Call Protect is utilised.  I have a friend who uses Plusnet phone services and when I call her, I hear "This call is being screened by BT Call Guardian... please state your name" which I presume comes off her phone, not Plusnet's network?

The option taken might boil down to the relative ease of use of the two call blocking technologies ... especially give that PCP does not have a GUI and all management is via code dialling on the phone handset.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@Townman

Hi Kevin, i misread the post and realized soon after ( but forget to amend for some reason )  the poster was referring to the feature in the handset and not the feature that can be enabled on the telephone line .

I should know better Grin, as i have the BT 8600 handset and use  BT Call Guardian myself