cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Reset Openreach FTTC Broadband DLM Profiles Arrives

N7ck
Grafter

Ability to Reset Openreach FTTC Broadband DLM Profiles Arrives

So I've just come across this: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-ar...

At the beginning of the forth paragraph it says "several ISPs (e.g. Plusnet) have started offering the option of a remote DLM reset as part of a trial with selected customers."

"Selected Customers"

"We understand that this change will come into play from the 19th February 2018."

When I first switched to Plusnet Fibre, is was getting a very pleasant 68Mbps / 18Mbps .... I still have about 18 up, but now i have 48 down! 

When asking Plusnet about this sudden drop, they said it was due to the "Contention Ratio"... yeah right 😕

Yesterday I replaced my Openreach modem and 7800N router with the 8800NL R2 router and for the first time since switching from DSL i was able to see my SNR again! I also noticed some other interesting information which contradicts the results from BT's ADSL Checker:

VDSL.png

BT Wholesale.png

So my max speed according to BT is about 48 / 18, which is what I am getting...

SNR Ratio 9.png

But my router says: Attainable Rate (Kbps): 67664 / 22535.

Now I've never had 22 up, but that number of 68 down is looking very familiar!

What exactly is the maximum rate available for my line the?

Dear Plusnet,

Could I please be one of your "Selected Customers" to take part in your "remote DLM reset" service?
I would very much like to have my original connection speed or somewhere close, returned to me.

I have been a customer of yours for many many years and have recommended and Plusnet to many people and have helped quite a few friends switch away from people like BT who were charging two of them, £50 a month for a 1Mbps line! Now they both have 40Mbps for around £20. Nice one!

Regards,

N7ck

Oh one other thing...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/11/speed-boost-bt-openreach-prep-3db-snr-fttc-broadband-l...

Customers using one of Openreach’s (BT) ‘up to’ 40-80Mbps capable Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC / VDSL2) broadband lines might benefit from a free speed boost next year when the operator adopts a new default target downstream noise margin of 3dB.

Could you get on this trial too, see as how you are using BT?

I would very like to try 3dB... even 6dB would be nice, i really don't know why I'm 9 !?

Actually what I would really like is for you to give me the opportunity to select me own SNR as my router has that option.

This Dynamic Line Management thing is just a steaming pile of....

Anyway, that's all from me for now.

I look forward to hearing from you Plusnet, hopefully as one of your valued "Selected Customers" Wink

72 REPLIES 72
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Ability to Reset Openreach FTTC Broadband DLM Profiles Arrives

Sound like your line is banding at 55Mbps with G.INP enabled. As for target SNR 3dB as it still under trial in most exchanges, not everyones will get. (target SNR 3dB only work with huawei cabinet at present time).

N7ck
Grafter

Thanks for replying,

But I had this connection drop last year, before I had a G-INP modem/router.

I also spoke to Plusnet support yesterday who informed me that my connection isn't banded (apparently).

I'm pretty sure I'm connected the a Huawei cabinet, although there are two cabinets near me. But one of those is ancient and has been there as long as i can remember. The one next to it is definitely a Huawei as it looks like this:

cab_288

I also think our area is one of the first to get upgrades. For example, i was on the BT ADSL trials, back in the days of the Stingray router if any of you remember that:product-82801

Also, I came across this on my new router last night:48-74Mbps.png

Is it me, or does my connection really seem like it wants run at 74Mbps before giving up and going back to 48Mbps?

Cheers

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

You might have to wait until PN staff to get back to you. They should run the test called GEA Test to see if your line does banded cap at 55Mbps. But, under BTW handback threshold of your line is 53.9Mbps while your BTw Performance Tester say IP Profile rate of 53.18Mbps as these two are likely to be checking if your banded does banded under GEA Test, if yes, then PN have to raised this with the supplier to get it remotely DLM resetted under trial to get it unbanded without the need of an engineer call out. After resetted DLM your line could go back to around 60-61Mbps.

N7ck
Grafter

Hang on a second, what's going on here:G-INP UP.png

Since when was G-INP applied to the upload, I thought it wasn't required for that? 

Has someone been fiddling?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

That's pretty normal. DLM did that on my line enabled G.INP on both in most case before, it sound like DLM does working on your line, best to leave it alone, wait until few days later to see if DLM has removed G.INP on the upstream but for downstream 54999K (this is definitely banded on your line)

DLM act on your line changed interleave depth 16:1 to 4:8 and INP from 48/0 to 51/47 as DLM normally adjusted in afternoon between 12pm to 3pm in most case.

You might need to wait for a week later for any latest updated on the GEA Test (because DLM just act on your line as you just stated just now as it would be pointless to run some GEA Test because it will be old one!).

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Current line stats with ongoing 150 days stable since DLM resetted 1st Feb 2018Current line stats with ongoing 150 days stable since DLM resetted 1st Feb 2018Here is example of my line was banded on the 26th Nov 2017 before PN have remotely DLM resetted on the 29th Jan 2018 after 64 days of banded line then it fully removed banded after 3 days on the 1st of Feb 2018 and the line has return to maximum sync rate and staying there ongoing for 150 days without any DLM on it. Smiley

1st Remote Defect Indicator/DLM resync: 26th Nov 2017 at 12:55pm (line banded enabled)

Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     11.4      0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):   Not available on VDSL2
Attenuation rate (kbps):   89238      30218
Connection speed (kbps):   74000      19999
SNR margin (dB):           9.9      15.1
Power (dBm):               12.5      -0.9
Interleave depth:          16      1
INP:                       49.00      0
G.INP:                     Enabled      Not Enabled

2nd Remote Defect Indicator/DLM resync: 29th Jan 2018 at 6:10pm (after 64 days stable & DLM resetted)

Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     11.3      0.0
Attenuation rate (kbps):   83026      27648
Connection speed (kbps):   69594      19999
SNR margin (dB):           6.2      15.2
Power (dBm):               12.5      -1.3
Interleave depth:          1363      1
INP:                       3.00      0
G.INP:                     Not Enabled      Not Enabled

3rd Remote Defect Indicator/DLM resync: 1st February 2018 at 1:45pm (after 3 days stable & restored)

Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     11.3      0.0
Attenuation rate (kbps):   82489      27617
Connection speed (kbps):   79999      19999
SNR margin (dB):           6.7      15.1
Power (dBm):               12.4      -1.3
Interleave depth:          8      1
INP:                       48.00      0
G.INP:                     Enabled      Not Enabled
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi N7ck,

I've taken a look into this issue today and I've sent you an update to the ticket raised to us via your account, which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
N7ck
Grafter

So router has now by online 2 weeks (14D 10H 10M 7S) or thereabouts.

15.07.18.png

A see the INP has been removed from upload.... 

Any chance of a new GEA Test and that Connection Graph thing?

N7ck
Grafter

Errr.....

15.07.18 (BT Wholesale).png

15.07.18 (BT Wholesale 2).png

Interesting 😐

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Try a different browser, Chrome & Firefox are known to give unrealistic results.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Better use this speed test for real throughput speed here: https://fast.com/en/

Your downstream sync rate @ 54999k is DLM Banded on your line

N7ck
Grafter

Yes I know, you keep telling me that I am banded to 55Mbps, but i cannot get anywhere near that! 46-48Mbps is what that and all other speed test sites say.

Goldenfibre, you were the one that said:

You might need to wait for a week later for any latest updated on the GEA Test (because DLM just act on your line as you just stated just now as it would be pointless to run some GEA Test because it will be old one!).

Two weeks not long enough?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@N7ck, Whilst it doesn't appear that the banding is affecting your sync rate, I've arranged for your line to be remotely reset anyway, which may fix the issue.

As this process is only a trial it can generally take a week or so for you to see results if it works.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf  From the router stats in message #9 the line is in sync at 54.999 Mbps with an SNR margin of 9.4 so it appears to me that the banding is definitely affecting the sync speed, it should be a fair bit higher. The OP's throughput is slightly low but the  BT IP profile around 92% of sync probably because of retransmission high being applied.

A DLM reset should give a significant improvement.