Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS router cannot connect to Plusnet fibre broadband

Madeleyite
Rising Star
Fixes: 5

ASUS router cannot connect to Plusnet fibre broadband

First off I should say that the Plusnet Hub One hub that was supplied works fine so there is no problem with my internet connection in itself. The problem is when using the ASUS router: -

Asus DSL-AC68U router connected to ADSL OK but, after switching to fibre broadband with the same ISP (Plusnet) all attempts to connect to VDSL Fibre broadband failed. Asus router is VDSL capable and setup process, via Firefox web GUI, completes but cannot then connect even after several ‘Reset’ attempts at setup ensuring that details are entered correctly.

System Proxy servers are off and Firefox is set to 'Use sytem proxy settings.

Initial attempt resulted in spinning wheel and ‘Please wait about 1 minute’ but no connection after setup so exited Firefox after 10 minutes.ASUS3a edited.png

I deleted Firefox cookies and made further attempts to connect. These resulted in the spinning wheel and ‘Please wait about 1 minute’ scenario again and still does not connect, even after waiting 15 minutes.

Seems that the Asus is unable to connect to Plusnet fibre broadband.

Question - Am I missing something or is it Plusnet not allowing routers other than Plusnet’s own routers and maybe BT/EE routers to connect to their fibre broadband?

12 REPLIES 12
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: ASUS router cannot connect to Plusnet fibre broadband

We do not prevent the use of after-market routers.

There's a whole bunch of historic threads on this forum about configuring the AC68U (one here), so might be worth a search?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @Madeleyite
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the DSL-68U has a bad repuation for causing slow speeds and instability on UK FTTC lines.
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/ASUS-DSL-AC68U-Settings/m-p/1791589/highlight/true#M24244
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4394157-anyone-have-an-asus-dsl-ac68u-working-happily-bt-inf...

Regards
Richard

Madeleyite
Rising Star

I can't configure the ASUS because I can't access the user interface until it is set up and I can't set it up in the first place. I am in a catch-22 situation.

There is nothing wrong with the Plusnet Hub One when connected via ethernet but I have read about WiFi dropouts, mainly on the 5GHz band (which I prefer) and I hoped that the ASUS would be a backup if the PN Hub One became a problem. I have only had it for two days so I don't know if I will experience WiFi dropouts yet but I prefer to have a backup rather than be without internet and then be panicking to sort a solution quickly.

I can't connect via ethernet cable unless I pay someone to install the cable because the route is too complicated involving drilling through walls and going under floor boards.

Maybe I need to get another VDSL friendly router?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Madeleyite  What you are saying does not make much sense, you must be connected to the Asus to get that screenshot in your first post. Access to the router user interface does not require a connection to the internet and can be done over a local ethernet or Wi-Fi connection

Have you entered your Plusnet Username and Password on the PPPoE set up page?

I'm afraid @RichardB is correct. The DSL-68U has probably the worst ever VDSL2 modem chip in it. Unless you are on a very short line to the fibre cabinet you can expect problems. It does not get on well with the Openreach line management system (DLM).☹️

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Madeleyite 

PlusNet are in process of updating all Hub One to a new firmware version which is reported to resolve wireless issues.

If your Hub One is running Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 then it has the latest version.

To view which version your Hub One check the Home page of it and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Dan

Madeleyite
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid - The screenshot I showed was during stage 3 of the initial setup process and I am not able to enter the  user interface (UI) after the failure to finally connect. To get to stage 3 of the setup, yes I did enter my plusnet username and PW but not able to complete the final connection. See the small text at the bottom with the spinning wheel. It never completed.

When I was on ADSL I was able to enter the user interface (UI) to edit ASUS settings. There are the default username and associated PW but I edited it so that I had my own username and a different PW. Since changing over to VDSL all of these show as being incorrect so I cannot enter the UI anymore to edit settings.

@Dan_the_Van - Here is what I see at the bottom of the Plusnet Hub One Home screen: -

"Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown"

Will Plusnet update the software silently at some stage or is it something I have to do? I can't see where I might be able to do this so maybe Plusnet do these updates overnight?

Madeleyite
Rising Star

@bobpullen - I have seen on this forum that you are the man who gets things done re updating router software so I hope you don't mind this post?

Router Home page shows: - "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown"

I believe this needs updating to the latest version to solve 5GHz WiFi issues? Are you able to do this please? If so then what information do you need and how to I tell you in a secure manner?

Thank you.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Madeleyite - your hub doesn't seem to be online at the moment so I have scheduled it for upgrade the next time it's connected. You'll need to leave it in place for a few days.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Madeleyite
Rising Star

@bobpullen - I am online now so the router must be. Musn't it? I am using it to write this?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Madeleyite - ah sorry, it was me being daft.

Give your router a restart now and you should find it comes back up on the latest firmware.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Madeleyite
Rising Star

@bobpullen - Thank you. It now shows: -

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | Last updated 02/12/21

I depend on the 5GHz WiFi so thank you again.

Madeleyite
Rising Star

@RichardB - Thanks for your input. I have given up trying to connect the ASUS router via VDSL even though it states it supports VDSL2. It was OK with ADSL.

I have only had the Plusnet Hub One for a short while and it received the latest update thanks to @bobpullen . It is working OK but I usually like to have a backup rather than be without internet if the Plusnet Hub One failed so I am looking for another router that will definitely work with VDSL.

I would call this thread 'Solved' except I do not know how. 🙂