cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS DSL-N66U v OpenReach Modem

Snookieboy

ASUS DSL-N66U v OpenReach Modem

Hello All,
Recently got PlusNet Fibre (moved into an area without Cable) so still new to the whole Fibre over BT OpenReach and all that.
I've got an ASUS DSL-N66U router which has a built in VDSL modem. Am I better off using that or using the modem BT OpenReach gave me then using a normal router connected via Cat5?
I just want a reliable connection; and reading online sometimes using the ASUS router/modem combos can make a slow line / cause issues. So looking for some honest feedback here.
If I do use the ASUS - Is there any specific settings I should enable for the VDSL modem?
Cheers
5 REPLIES 5
redbull2k14
Grafter

Re: ASUS DSL-N66U v OpenReach Modem

For now I'm assuming you got the openreach modem plugged in, keep it that way and use any router, in a months time or so after you know your connection, then use the asus as a modem and router for a month then compare the pros and cons.
Snookieboy

ok will do Smiley
Do you think there be in real differences in speed or is that not much in it? Smiley
Cheers
redbull2k14
Grafter

my experience, no.
b1ggles
Grafter

More importantly, if you're using the Asus for wifi is by your master socket the best place for coverage in your house. Often it isn't so having the modem on a short lead by the socket and then a long as you like ethernet cable to the router in it's ideal solution would be the best choice.
redbull2k14
Grafter

sound right to me.