cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS DSL-AC68U configuration when using BT Superfast Fibre 3 Plus ?

Forum20

ASUS DSL-AC68U configuration when using BT Superfast Fibre 3 Plus ?

When I got BT Superfast Fibre 3 Plus installed I also got a new Asus DSL-AC68U router.  When I am connected directly to the router using CAT6 cable I get extremely good speeds.  When I use Wifi this is massively reduced with intermittent dropped connections.  I am running their most recent firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.  I have seen people suggest this is linked to 802.1Q not being enabled.  When I try and enable 802.1Q it does not connect at all to the internet.  What are the correct values for VLAN ID and 802.1P ?  I have tried 101 in the VLAN ID and left 0 in the 802.1P field but this makes no difference.

Thanks in advance for any input.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U configuration when using BT Superfast Fibre 3 Plus ?

Welcome to the forum

I assume that you are a new Plusnet customer trying to connect your own router to the Plusnet fibre extra service? 

Assuming that this is correct then do a factory reset on the router by pushing a paperclip or similar into the factory reset hole. Keep the switch closed for 30 seconds or until it's obviouslr reset. Wait for it to reboot and enter the settings that you will find here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Forum20

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know why the router reset might fix the issue i.e. what the underlying cause is ?  Does 802.1Q need to be enabled ?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Sorry, I have no idea. It just seems worth a try.

If your problem is only wifi try a sniffer app, I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone. This enables you to see neighbours wifi transmissions. It will also allow you to compare your signal strength with theirs. If neighbours are using the same channel then go into your router settings and manually select the quietest.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

802.1q has nothing to do with WiFi. If it needed enabling and wasn't, then you would have no internet connection at all

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.