Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS DSL-AC68U Constant Disconnections

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

ASUS DSL-AC68U Constant Disconnections

I got this just over a week ago and it was rock solid for 4 days on the latest firmware. Broadband and wifi speed both fantastic compared to my old openreach modelm and Zyxel router combo.
After 4 days it rebooted and resynced straightaway however it then constantly started disconnecting and reconnecting so I ran through the quick setup again and it went great for the next 3 days. This time going through quick setup again hasn't resolved. It constantly lost dsl connection and resynced and has probably shot my line profile to pieces. It just wasn't settling at all. Reflashing the firmware has not resolved any issues either.
In the end I had to plug the old openreach modem in and use the ASUS as a router so that I could get a usable internet connection.

As I say I went through the quick setup to set the device up. The wan settings are attached (wan & wan2).  Also attached is the check confirming the latest firmware. I've also attached the dsl settings. I don't know if they change if you change from using the vdsl connection natively or attached via a secondary modem as it is now. From looking at the settings they look familiar.
Is there anything in any of that looks it might cause issues? Would like to make this work if I can as it was fantastic when it was working.
29 REPLIES 29
Mantaray
Grafter

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U Constant Disconnections

Hi I have one of these routers and have never had a reset that wasn't requested from myself.
OK in terms of settings, I can only make suggestions in relation to it being used as a modem/router combo, I have never used it as just a router.
Please see attached what what works for me.
In addition, my firmware version is identical except for the end mine 0.2 and you have 0.1. Everything else is identical
I hope this helps.
AshPowell
Grafter

Did you do a proper reset after reflashing the firmware?
My device also says 0.2 instead of 0.1 and B instead of A...
Here's mine to compare.. Obv using the built in modem so no ethernet wan.. be good to see your settings for that instead of the working combo with openreach router
Mantaray
Grafter

@AshPowel
Looking at your settings there are a couple of differences from mine, so I have decided to try yours (no problems with mine at 75 down), but why not?
AshPowell
Grafter

yep may aswell.. these settings give me a few Mb more than the default settings whilst keeping CRC errors low.  Let me know if you see an increase..
andun84
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies. Interesting the differences in both of your firmware. I had read all the issues regarding this device and older firmware so I download the latest firmware from the asus website prior to plugging in the new device so that I was with the new firmware from the get go. I didn't do any proper reset on it. I just loaded on the new firmware. It rebooted and I entered my details. Where did you either of you get your firmware from? Did you get if from the website or did the device download it for you?
I'm going to go the website and redownload. If that leaves me on the same version and you advise that you got your firmware update from within the device then I think the next thing is to downgrade the firmware to an older version just so I can get the device to prompt the update.
I note that my vdsl profile is 30a as is @AShPowell however @Manatary is on 17a however given both of you are stable on those two different profiles it's probably not significant but something I can play with if I get desperate.
I was definitely getting a better sync on this device. My IP Profile has just increased by 2 meg and that doesn't surprise as I noticed that my sync was 64 something when my BT Profile was at 60.8 so it was on the rise. As Plusnet take 24 hours to catch up I'll not what damage all the resets done last night until later tonight/tomorrow morning.
Mantaray
Grafter

I usually download the software from Asus and I use a MAC Book  so maybe that is the difference as they do ask what your OS is. 
Make sure you reset after updating - the Asus website explains how to do this.
As for the difference between 17a and 30, as far as I am aware BT uses 17a, but the 30 version allows both so will default to whatever you need.
AshPowell
Grafter

have got from website and via the auto update, no difference really.. but a few times its caused bugs if i didn't do a proper reset after upgrading.. a reset from the UI seems to be sufficient for me (I can never get it to do a reset via the hw buttons lol)
17a is what's used, it's just a setting I haven't changed as like Mantaray said it's compat with both.
andun84
Rising Star

Ok decided to do the factory reset. Went through the setup. Got connected. That lasted about 3 mins. Then off and then back to constant disconnects. Downloaded the latest firmware again. Uploaded it again. Immediately reset back to factory defaults. Logged back in again. Up at the min. Will now pray  Grin I notice firmware is now B but still 0.1 at end. I notice the device now shows G.INP disabled. I also note that interleaving downstream is turned on when previously it was fastpath so the instability has had an impact. Oh dear it's just gone off again after about 8mins up time. Was beginning to think I was ok. Back up and back off again a few second later. Back to yo-yo.
Will now try the settings that both of you have to see if they help.
andun84
Rising Star

Unfortunately  same issue with both those sets of DSL settings.
Mantaray
Grafter

When you use the BT modem is it stable?
Do you have a long line? 
andun84
Rising Star

Hi yes. The line is stable. My profile on the BT modem is about 60 and it seemed to be rising whilst stable on this modem so my line is not especially long.
AshPowell
Grafter

I'd try return for a replacement then mate, I think you have an older hardware version anyway (0.1 vs 0.2)
andun84
Rising Star

Yeah think you are right. Looks like this just isn't going to work. Let's hope the replacement is newer hardware  Smiley
Mantaray
Grafter

@Ashpowell - changes made are just as stable.  18 up CRC errors in 15 hours, about the same as before.  
Never get down down CRC errors.
@Andun84 - hopefully the replacement will be better.  It is a great bit of kit, I have it linked to my TV to stream HD, my synology box to auto back-up a couple of Macs (over wifi) and to play movies/TV series from as well as numerous items connected via wifi.  I get 74 plus via wifi.  The 5Ghz works well for me as I am in a flat and there appears to be about million people around me with 2.4, but even this 2.4 is good enough so I don't get knocked out like I used to be.