cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2 line upgraded to FTTC but ADSL2 router still attached. Expected problems?

FIXED
grahamt
Rising Star

ADSL2 line upgraded to FTTC but ADSL2 router still attached. Expected problems?

Ten days ago my partner & I upgraded our Plusnet package at a house we live in intermittently (three days each fortnight) from ADSL2 to FTTC. The change was due to take place over the weekend, around Jan 11th.

Stupidly I forgot to disconnect the internet connection and unplug the old router before we left the house, so now there's an FTTC line with an ADSL2 router attached. We won't get back to it for a couple more days. Presumably the old router's not happy, but this may not matter too much as we're not trying to do anything with it. What worries me is that it may be throwing up all sorts of faults on the line during the training period. What will be happening to the line now?

Obviously as soon Is we get to the house I'll swap out the old router for the new, FTTC-compliant Hub One. But should I do anything before then, e.g. contact Plusnet and ask them to disconect the line for a couple of days?

3 REPLIES 3
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: ADSL2 line upgraded to FTTC but ADSL2 router still attached. Expected problems?

Fix

The old router will not connect at all so will not do anything bad to the line. So nothing to worry about.😁

As there is no connection the so called training period will not have started. FTTC lines do not actually have a 10 day training period, the line should start at the best speed possible and possibly be reduced in the first couple of days if there are a lot of errors detected.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: ADSL2 line upgraded to FTTC but ADSL2 router still attached. Expected problems?

As above, if the ADSL connection goes, and is replaced with a VDSL (FTTC) signal it will just drop the connection .

Sit back, relax, and enjoy your time away for home,

grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks, both of you. That's reassuring.