cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL to VDSL upgrade - what now?

ChannelZ

ADSL to VDSL upgrade - what now?

Hi folks,
Just ordered VDSL, finally our local cabinet was made live last week. (Yay!).
So, what now?  I have a Draytek Vigor 130 on it's way to me, but what happens at the faceplate?  I have one of the BT Openreach master sockets with the ADSL V1.0 filter faceplate fitted.  Does that change?  Do BT come out and fit a different faceplate?  Do I have to buy a different faceplate?
Any info gratefully received, in case I need to buy other bits to make this work.
11 REPLIES 11
shure
Grafter

Re: ADSL to VDSL upgrade - what now?

They're all self-installs now, apparently.  So an engineer just changes things at the cabinet.  Your ADSL will go dead at some point and that's when you will need to unplug your ADSL modem and plug in your Fibre one.  Other than that I don't think there's an awful lot to do if memory serves.
herojan
Grafter

Edit: removed
John_Essex
Grafter

Quote from: ChannelZ
?  Do I have to buy a different faceplate?

There's no need to but I did anyway after first going ADSL many years ago. Still works nicely on fibre. This was just to get rid of various filters hanging from the other phone sockets.  Bought  it on line. Not expensive and easy to fit. Just insulation displacement connectors that only need the wire pushing into them with a small screwdriver.
Also if ever you have fault on line it makes it so much easier to prove the fault by opening the socket which disconnects  all the internal wiring then plugging into the test socket you'll find inside.
ChannelZ

Thanks, I ordered a Mk3 faceplate anyway, I suspect the old ADSL faceplate is probably getting a bit tired (it's the type the BT engineer installed along with the green "Squid" USB modem all those years ago, three houses ago!).
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

DO NOT use a small screwdriver to insert wires, use a proper insertion tool (<£5) or a plastic one.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Adding a faceplate doesn't require any modifications to the wiring unless you need to connect some extension sockets then the advice is correct although I did it with my better half's blunt ended tweezers
ChannelZ

I have a proper Krone punch-down tool from a previous life (I used to be a network engineer doing CAT5 installs, back when CAT5 was all new-fangled and we were pulling out Token Ring).  Crazy
ardtole

Got my new Vigor 130, and the Mk3 faceplate.  Fitted both earlier, and I'm still on 12Mb despite getting an email yesterday to say the change has completed.  

I assume this email is a mistake, and I assume I'll only be billed from when the upgrade ACTUALLY takes place?

Edit: Sorry, wrong login, too many plus.net accounts and this whole resetting password nonsense has me confuzzled!  - ChannelZ

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

They have been sending emails out very often by mistake. It also happened to me, you've obviously got an activation date. Await a text message
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
gisajob
Dabbler

Is your Vigor running in VDSL or ADSL mode ?

When our connection changed to VDSL this week we still ran at the old 20mb of ADSL.  

A quick online chat to Plusnet support and they removed the restriction and things were up to speed (albeit with other issues, but that won't affect you)

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@ChannelZ  your Current Line Speed may not have been updated. Check that out.

PS. And you were wise to get the Mk3 plate Wink