cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL to Fibre - connection speed the same

blahdeblah

ADSL to Fibre - connection speed the same

Hi all,

I've gone through the process of upgrading from my adsl package to the unlimited fibre one.  I've had an email saying the product change was now complete, I've got the new router plugged in etc.  But the speed reported by the router is exactly the same as my old dsl connection was.

I know they say to wait a few days for the speed to level out - but I'm not sure if that means I'm still waiting on openreach/who-ever actually connecting the fibre, or something's not right with the account.  The plusnet page says they've tested the line a week or so ago and saying I should be able to get ~70mbs.

Anyway - just not sure from the plusnet emails/help pages if I'm actually supposed to be on fibre now, or something else has to happen.  I'm possibly just being impatient - but there doesn't seem to be any info on my account or in the emails about what's actually happening or should happen.

Kind regards,

7 REPLIES 7
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: ADSL to Fibre - connection speed the same

The product change email is misleading. It doesn't mean that you have actually been connected yet, just that the accounting system has been set up to take the money for it.

Look in your Hub One Troubleshooting Event Log, in the WAN category. Look for the most recent line saying  "WAN operating mode is ...". It will either say ADSL or VDSL. If it says ADSL then you haven't actually got fibre connected yet; when you have it will start saying VDSL.

If you log in to the PlusNet Members Centre, under Help and support you can view your closed questions. You may find something in there relating to the target date for OpenReach to connect you.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@blahdeblah Put your phone number into the BT DSL checker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com .

In the text below the speed estimates you should see something along the lines of:-

'there is an open order on your line due to complete on ......'

That's the date your Fibre upgrade will actually happen

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

blahdeblah

@bobminors Ah - thank you!  I thought it might be something like the email not quite being what it seemed.  The hubs WAN log does indeed still say ADSL. I can't see anything about the activation date in the help&support messages - I shall just have to be patient I guess 😉

Thanks again!

blahdeblah

@MisterW - thanks for that too - apparently it's due to be completed today. So that's good news 🙂  Thanks again! 🙂

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

No problem. You should just see a short period where you lose the ADSL sync and then the router will resync on VDSL.

I assume you have got the PlusNet Hub One router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When you get the line connected, the router should automatically detect it and switch itself over.

It will connect first using a plusnet service account at a low speed and use that to pull down your username and password from the server to load into the router, then restart at the correct speed. This should be invisible to you but it might take some minutes.

Ignore all those things saying it may take up to ten days for the line speed to settle - that doesn't apply to fibre. The router Troubleshooting / Helpdesk page will tell you a maximum data rate (it's row 7) - that's what it detects when it handshakes with the street cabinet when it connects. Assuming it's around the 70000 you were quoted for your line, that's as good as it's going to get.

(edit - sorry, cross-posted with @MisterW's reply Smiley

blahdeblah

Thanks to both of you - I am waiting patiently 😉  I'm sure it'll kick in sometime soon.  Thanks for your help 🙂