cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL to FTC switchover *finally* happened - upload speed now 18Mbs but download still stuck at 4Mbs

Simon_F
Grafter
Fixes: 1

ADSL to FTC switchover *finally* happened - upload speed now 18Mbs but download still stuck at 4Mbs

Hi all,

After a long wait, the switch-over from ADSL to FTC happened sometime in the past 12 hours  24hrs**
The Hub One is now reporting

Downstream: 79.9 Mbps
Upstream: 20 Mbps

Huzzah!

Unfortunately,  according to both speedtest  and  broadbandspeedchecker, while we're now getting a whopping upload speed of ~18Mbs (~20x faster than yesterday 😁download is still stuck at 4.6Mbs. 😕

I gave the hub one an extra reboot for good measure, but to no avail.. 

Is there some other setting that can be adjusted to release the brakes?

Thanks

S

** Update:  The hub ones' log says...

08:35:37, 16 Feb. (1211994.030000) WAN operating mode is VDSL

... so it must have changed yesterday, a day earlier than expected.

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: ADSL to FTC switchover *finally* happened - upload speed now 18Mbs but download still stuck at 4

Seems like the profile on the PN side needs a kick.
Hopefully one of the staffers will pick it up soon Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Simon_F
Grafter

Re: ADSL to FTC switchover *finally* happened - upload speed now 18Mbs but download still stuck at 4

<Bump>

Nothing much seems to be happening. I guess none of the staff saw this. There seemed to be relatively little commentary on the ticket when I raised it.

I must say I certainly seem to have an ironic form of  Asymmetric DSL with upload being 5-6x faster than download!

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

It’s possible the product change to fibre hasn’t completed on your account yet, what’s the ‘current line speed’ show as on the broadband tab in your account online?

Simon_F
Grafter

Essentially, it's been saying the following since at least the 1st of Feb (including the guaranteed part)..

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 67 - 72Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 60.9Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 5.1Mbps

It's just perplexing that the upload rate has definitely gone from its ADSL rate of ~0.5 Mb/s to (testing this morning with BTW) 19Mbs, which closely matches the modem's reported rate, yet the download rate seems capped at 5, while the modem says it should be going quite a bit faster.

I really could do with the faster downloads - had to transfer some big files off a work server earlier this week and it took  h..o..u....r......s

Simon_F
Grafter

So, right in the middle of a business meeting the connection dropped out because the hub one disconnected 😳

09:47:04, 18 Feb. (92254.700000) PPPoE is down after 1535 minutes uptime [Disconnected]
09:47:00, 18 Feb. (92250.810000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]

On the upside, it BTW speed test now says 70Mbs 😁 !!!

On the whole: 😊

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Sounds like you were capped at ADSL, this type of profile generally only affects download speeds. At least it’s sorted now and you’ve got a big increase even if it did cause a bit of hassle during your meeting.