Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL speeds using Asus n55u router

willow147
Grafter

ADSL speeds using Asus n55u router

Hi,
I've just had Plusnet fibre connected, and when using the Plusnet supplied router connecting to the BT fibre modem I get a download speed of 73Mb but when I take out the plusnet router and use an Asus n55u as a router instead, connecting to the BT fibre modem it all seems to work except I only get a download speeds of 15.

Reconnecting the Plusnet router again and it goes back up to 73. Am I missing a setting somewhere which is throttling my speed on the n55u?
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: ADSL speeds using Asus n55u router

Wired or wireless connection ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

willow147
Grafter

Sorry, should have said. All testing is on a wired connection.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so that let's out wireless as the issue. Smiley I believe the 55u has some fairly extensive QOS settings, have you tried disabling these?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Estragon
Rising Star

We'd need to see your settings really. Otherwise we are shooting in the dark. Possibly the MTU value?
I could have given you mine from an ASUS RT-N66U but it has gone faulty.
willow147
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Ok, so that let's out wireless as the issue. Smiley I believe the 55u has some fairly extensive QOS settings, have you tried disabling these?

You sir are a genius, give that man a cookie.
I set that up ages ago without really knowing what I was doing. Have now disabled it and have my fibre speeds back AND some good WiFi coverage as well.
Thank you for your help, and everyone else who has posted offering some assistance.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You sir are a genius
A lucky guess really Grin

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That's why he's a Bright Spark Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

And it's also why this forum offers some of the best technical problem solving advice you will find.
jjc
Grafter

I get my upgrade on the 21st and hope to also use the n55U is there anything I need to know?
Thanks
John