cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL speed to fibre expectation

Litenites
Dabbler

ADSL speed to fibre expectation

I am waiting to change to fibre from my adsl2 connection, which is good and gives me 12.5 downloads which after checking my line, seems to be at the top. Is it possible to get some idea of future fibre speeds by using the same test, ie, as I am on top adsl speed, will my fibre be near to the 38 max. I know it may be crystal ball gazing, but has anyone experience of the figures being accurate. I worry as I am 1.4km as the crow flies from my fibre green box and plusnet have rejigged the date from today until the 25th, which takes me outside of the 14 day cooling off period and I would not like to be stuck on a under performing connection for 24 months.

3 REPLIES 3
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: ADSL speed to fibre expectation

From the estimates you have posted you should get 38Mbps although I would question the 1.4km  to the cabinet as they seem rather high for that distance. Are you sure the cabinet is the one indentified by the checker in the line :-

Telephone Number xxxxx on Exchange yyyy is served by Cabinet n

The maximum FTTC speed is not related to what you get on ADSL by the way, it is entirely dependent on distance to the cabinet.

richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

"Handback" threshold is 35 for your line, assuming there isn't a fault on it. So Plusnet should guarantee this as a minimum sync speed.

Litenites
Dabbler

Thanks, yes its definitely the right cabinet, checked it against my phone number.

I was worried as someone down the road only gets 20-25mb on Plusnet.

I was also concerned as another fibre provider said they considered it a no fibre area where I lived