cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL -> Fibre update complete, but still on ADSL

MikeBz
Rising Star

ADSL -> Fibre update complete, but still on ADSL

Order for upgrade to Fibre Extra placed on Tuesday 24th Jan, router arrived a few days later - plugged in & working straight away on ADSL.  Today I've received the email saying my upgrade is complete.  But... I'm still on ADSL.  Hopefully this isn't another one which has fallen through the cracks and it will happen some time today, but it would be appreciated if one of the admins could have a look and make sure.  As someone else has pointed out the feedback process needs to be better.

9 REPLIES 9
Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: ADSL -> Fibre update complete, but still on ADSL

Probably just the internal paperwork has been done, that's what the

Your broadband product change is now complete

email means, you still need Openreach to switch it over & Plusnet to change your profile, that's 10+ after you place the order, so at least a week after this email

MikeBz
Rising Star

So it's taken 10 days (or 8 working days) just to do the internal paperwork and it's at least another week on top of that?  Hey ho.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hopefully it shouldn't be quite that long to wait. I think what happens, is that when you place an upgrade order, a provisional date is assigned from the BT systems which is about 10 days ahead. This is then adjusted basedd on engineer availability. Some part of the PlusNet system doesn't seem capable of processing this changed date and so you get the product change email on the original date. Assuming there's not a major problem with engineer availability in your area and that the order has actually been accepted then it's probably only another few days for the actual order to complete. Hopefully one of the PN help team can check that actual order date and post back on here

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MikeBz
Rising Star

Well I've just had a brief outage, it's now back and the switchover has obviously happened.

Speeds are a little bit disappointing given that I'm only 300m from the cabinet - 53.96Mbps down, 11.99Mbps up.  The download is in range, just - ("Your estimated line speed range is from 49 Mbps - 63 Mbps".   It would be good do know if there is anything PN can tweak to improve things.

From the hub:

6. Data rate: 13608 / 57693
7. Maximum data rate: 13601 / 57741
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 31.2 / 20.6
10. Signal attenuation: 31.1 / 19.8

I'm pretty sure that the down attenuation was around 13db before the change from ADSL to VDSL.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If those are sync speeds (rather than speed tests) then there's nothing that PN can tweak, it's all down to the BT systems in the cabinet. Might be worth checking your internal wiring to see if there are any improvements to be made there.

Are you connected to the master socket ?

Do you have any extension wiring ?

Do you have a filtered VDSL faceplate or are you using a normal plug-in filter ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MikeBz
Rising Star

Speeds from BT Wholesale speed test.  Newish socket with built-in filter installed by BT Openreach not that long ago.  On ADSL the speed test was giving around 16MB down and 1MB up, not not too far off the max achievable.

From the hub:

6. Data rate: 13608 / 57693
7. Maximum data rate: 13601 / 57741
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 31.2 / 20.6
10. Signal attenuation: 31.1 / 19.8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That downstream sync of 57693 is pretty much in line with your estimate of 49 - 63 and so BT won't accept any fault.

The throughput on the speed test is also not a million miles out for those sync speeds , maybe just a tad low...

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

VDSL2 is lossier that DSL, due to the frequencies it uses, so no surprise there

As for the speeds the next week or so should see it settle, usually profile changes are late at night

MikeBz
Rising Star

I guessed I might need to let it settle (though I'm sceptical that it will make any difference).  The attenuation seems high given that the cabinet is only 300m away (measured along the pavement).  From the 13db attenuation I had on ADSL immediately prior to the switch to VDSL (10 months ago it was 7.5 not 13) this checking tool reckons I'm 940m from the cabinet.  Obviously I need to verify that I am connected to the  nearest cabinet... The next nearest one is 600m away.  The exchange itself is less than 600m away.  But it looks as though the signal has degraded significantly over the last year.