Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A really bad day yesterday!

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

A really bad day yesterday!

For quite a while now I've been puzzling over why my TBB BQM has shown continuous flurries of spikes but since my speeds were OK at around 37-38 download and 6-7 upload on 40/20 I didn't worry about it. However, I tried disconnecting my Laptop, TV and SKyBox ethernet cables and switching Wi-Fi off on both our phones and the Ipad before going to bed one night so nothing was connected to my router (laptop was the last and I checked devices connected as I removed them) and it made no difference at all.
I was watching Netflix yesterday when it started buffering and then the quality dropped.  I was watching HD one minute and then something more like an old VHS tape the next. I switched off and tried doing some speed tests on TBB and ran about 10 during the afternoon getting very strange results. Most of the time the test started and then would just drop to 0 and hang. A couple of times I could re-start the test and get a near enough normal result.
This morning things seem to be OK'ish again although the latency spikes are still there. Hopping gateways doesn't seem to make any difference now as it used to.
I'd like to know what's causing this. Is it local congestion?
7 REPLIES 7
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Re: A really bad day yesterday!

For days now, come the afternoon and evening, most of the speed tests I try to run fail when the speed drops to 0. This happens on TBB and SpeedTest.
NOT on BTW though, without fail the speedtest on there runs as normal to completion so what's special about the BT test?
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Ha - brilliant now the Useage Graphs have been pulled. Bit too revealing for commercial reasons say PlusNet. Bit too revealing full stop I'd suggest.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Looks as if my connection was reset around 8:30am and I'm now on ptw-bng01. Until recently I would have known whether it was just me or if mine was one of thousands of connections dropped at the same time. At the same time as I reconnected I started getting significant packet loss again along with the 80ms + ping spikes that I see 24hrs a day.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

There's a couple of amber VP's in your exchange.
I'm trying to see if your on one of these.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Thank you Matthew - appreciated.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've checked and your not on a Amber one.
If it's causing issues I'd recommend raising a fault with a live link to your ping graph using the link below
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Matthew
If it's causing issues

Hmm..  well at the moment I suppose the answer to that is no coz I'm off out for a pint or three  Smiley
Apart from the evenings over the last weekend which were dire, I could still use my connection and by the look of all the posts on here and elsewhere I'm just one of many (probably many thousands). I suspect that the majority of people with issues just chunter and go and do something else. I don't think me messing about checking things that are obviously nothing to do with the problem is going to do anything other than make me hot and sweaty. The foaming glass that awaits me won't - no brainer then.
Saturday night into Sunday morning I had all devices on my network disconnected and switched off or WiFi disabled. It made no difference and there was a constant shower of ping spikes all through the night.
As for the checking process that your fault reporting wizard requires, BTW speedtest *always* completes with very satisfactory results which is something that I regard as very odd. It strikes me that this is in some way using  'special' routing or something that isn't available to me on my ordinary connection.