cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A rant (sorry but yes another one !)

Lynnwarbo11
Dabbler

A rant (sorry but yes another one !)

OK ... since upgrading from broadband to fibre ... worst decision ever ... I have been plagued with my speeds dropping to non existent wi fi more times than I've had hot dinners.
At first ... due to my complete ignorance in relation to anything technical .. I blamed everything from me to my dog !!!! Lol ... all this time plusnet are feeding me the old 'we ve run a test but there's been no drop in signal' so basically not our fault. I didn't know where to turn then firstly I purchased a amazon firestick to watch prime movies and catch up tv. On the stick it actually indicates where the problem could be if it doesn't stream. Then I downloaded a speed test app. It was definitely a eureka moment for a 48 year old technophobe !!

Yet despite this I was still being fed the same old script from PN. It finally hit home what actually was going on when I subscribed to tv player ... an 100% legit service offered by amazon where you could watch catch up and a limited number of channels. A total waste of time and money because everytime I would attempt to watch live tv the show would buffer and then totally drop. I mean you would watch 2 mins tv .. buffer then completely vanish ... in 1 hour I stopped counting at 10 times and this happened every time I tried to use the app. No matter who I spoke to plusnet whilst never outwardly rude they were less than helpful. Tbh I hit give up.
It was only when a friend mentioned the attempts ISP s were making to limit streaming and the mighty forces of sky bt etc putting into place technical ways of scuppering people that I was finally sure what was going on.

Due to the fact that this amazing technology development (yes that was sarcasm) the PN computers couldn't distinguish my streaming tv and the naughty naughty streamers of what is deemed by the powers that be to be illegal viewing because I'm assuming it made its calculations due to size speed etc of what was being streamed whilst at the same time not recognising whatever addresses being used by the tv player app. But how was an old housebound woman with little to no knowledge going to test her theory ?? Easy ... I subscribed to a trial of a vpn ... and voila my tv player did not buffer !!!!! Yep not once and my final proof was when on one of my many phone calls to plus net I could sense that a judgement was being made (never directly made mind) on what I was streaming so when I informed the representative I was attempting to use an official app the answer was a very very suprised "OH"

So in the big companies attempts to catch the bad guys I hope they sleep better knowing they've stopped a 48 year old disabled woman in the NW England from watching the discovery channel .... yes more sarcasm !!!!

If at any point I was given any real support from plusnet I would honestly not be this fed up but the fact is all through this last year no responsibility has been accepted and I've been left stressed out ... angry and in a position where I would never recommend the company to anyone. There complete denial and lack of understanding is appalling and it saddens me. So from this rant I'm off to inform amazon why they could be possibly losing subscribers to the tv player service ... wish me luck.
4 REPLIES 4
jhaynes61
Dabbler

Re: A rant (sorry but yes another one !)

Sounds odd this! I'll test this when i get my internet connection up and running but i've never experienced anything like this before. Especially when i never seem to get my full speed /  bandwidth with a VPN. 

Lynnwarbo11
Dabbler

Oh I m not fond of vpn s tbh and to be fair I'm a total novice on anthing technical. I was completely at my wits end. I'm no way suggesting a vpn is a cure to all of plus nets issues in relation to my experience but it seemed strange that despite what plusnet were saying .. oh no not our fault it's your environment (no I'm still confused by that 1) as soon as I used the trial vpn my tv player app ran 100% better.

I am quite literally open to trying anything which means it doesn't take 2 hours to watch a half hour tv show !!!!

I am left with a more flexible and open attitude to people who do challenge the system in regards to technology and the attempts by 'those in power' to control what .. how etc you use a service that you are paying for (sometimes as a struggle financially) whilst constantly telling you it's all your own fault and nothing to do with them despite challenging them with evidence. I in no way blame the staff at plusnet on the front line of customers anger ... they have a script and to keep in work they must adhere to it.

I wish you luck cos my own fight with technology continues lol x
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Hi , i am surprised no one here has asked yet , Are you only using WiFi ? or have you tried with a wired connection .

WiFi is not very reliable for testing wired is the best way to connect  , and have you got the Plusnet supplied router ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Lynnwarbo11
Dabbler

Sorry for the delay x tysm for responding.
Firstly yes I use wifi mainly due to the fact I access the tv player app on a fire stick which you can't use wired. Whilst I understand it's not perfect what I was using wifi for didn't really change .. all I did different was to upgrade with PN from broadband to fibre cos I foolishly believed my streaming wouldn't buffer as much. Cor I was so wrong lolol.
Secondly I am using the plusnet modem ... like I said I'm still learning and would have no idea where to start buying one lol.
The reason I'm so annoyed is that my problems only really started when I upgraded (with plus net) from broadband to fibre and tbh it nearly coincided with the ... to me unknown .. attempts by the big companies to restrict limits etc.

Whilst I understand their actions it annoys me that no consideration seems to be given to those who use the service with official apps and services. Has I said in one of my rants (lolol) all the blame was put at my feet and whenever I asked an uncomfortable question all I got ...even from technical department ... 'we can't answer that' or 'nope not our fault'. I had to laugh once because my internet vanished once at 1 am for well over a hour and when I questioned it all I got was denial .... not very trust building !!

Thanks again.