cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A problem I have been putting off - My Fibre was installed on the wrong phone line.

Clumsy
Dabbler

A problem I have been putting off - My Fibre was installed on the wrong phone line.

Hello everyone,

When my Fibre was originally installed, the installation engineers weren't too sure which line to install the Fibre on. One line seemed to be dead, and the other had a tone but also a few issues. In the end, they installed it on the line with a tone. Unfortunately, this turned out to be the wrong line, as none of my ethernet/connection ports in my apartment walls have an active connection. I used to be able to plug my ethernet cables into the wall ports and get a connection.

My connection does work, but only wirelessly & by plugging ethernet cables directly into the router.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks, Alex.

11 REPLIES 11
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: A problem I have been putting off - My Fibre was installed on the wrong phone line.

@AlexHill wrote:

Unfortunately, this turned out to be the wrong line, as none of my ethernet/connection ports in my apartment walls have an active connection. I used to be able to plug my ethernet cables into the wall ports and get a connection.

That doesn't make sense. What comes into your house is an analogue signal that has to be decoded by a modem (these days often built into the router). All that a broadband installation engineer would ever do is provide you with a device that has one or more Ethernet sockets on it. The only way for you to have had Ethernet available at sockets scattered around your apartment is for them to have been plugged into your router either by yourself, a previous owner or someone you chose to employ. It is not something the broadband installer would have done as it is not their responsibility. Nor is it your ISP's responsibility. For the same reason the telephone line chosen to carry the FTTC service would be irrelevant as to whether or not your wall sockets provided data.

My connection does work, but only wirelessly & by plugging ethernet cables directly into the router.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Yes. Your wall sockets will be chained together using Ethernet cables. You need to find one end of this chain and plug it into your router.

Clumsy
Dabbler

Re: A problem I have been putting off - My Fibre was installed on the wrong phone line.

Andrue  wrote:

That doesn't make sense. What comes into your house is an analogue signal that has to be decoded by a modem (these days often built into the router). All that a broadband installation engineer would ever do is provide you with a device that has one or more Ethernet sockets on it. The only way for you to have had Ethernet available at sockets scattered around your apartment is for them to have been plugged into your router either by yourself, a previous owner or someone you chose to employ. It is not something the broadband installer would have done as it is not their responsibility. Nor is it your ISP's responsibility. For the same reason the telephone line chosen to carry the FTTC service would be irrelevant as to whether or not your wall sockets provided data.

Yes. Your wall sockets will be chained together using Ethernet cables. You need to find one end of this chain and plug it into your router.

Hi Andrue, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the first thing I tried was plugging the cable into the wall and into the router Sad

The old Internet setup was Router -> Ethernet -> Ethernet socket. That allowed me to have access to the internet (Sourced from Router -> Wall) 

There are two lines built into the flat (which was only built two years ago). All the telephone sockets expect the one in my hall belong to me. 

That one line and the socket in the hall was a dedicated line that was already live. We didn't realize the engineer had installation it on that line.

This wasn't their fault, they installed it on a line that seemed most appropriate.

screenshot_17.png (116 KB)

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator Note by Dick (Strat)

Post rescued from Spam Filter.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Clumsy
Dabbler

Thank you very much Strat.

Andrue
Pro

@AlexHill wrote:

The old Internet setup was Router -> Ethernet -> Phone line. That allowed me to have access to the internet (Sourced from Router -> Wall) 

That doesn't right, unless you had some hitherto unheard of communal network. You cannot get Ethernet out of a phone line. The possible configurations are:

Ethernet <-> Router <-> Modem <-> Phone line.

or if you have a combined router/modem:

Ethernet <-> Router/Modem <-> Phone line.

There are two lines built into the flat (which was only built two years ago). All the telephone sockets expect the one in my hall belong to me. 

That one line and the socket in the hall was a dedicated line that was already live. We didn't realize the engineer had installation it on that line.

But I still don't understand why you think choice of phone line is relevant. A phone line does not provide Ethernet. The modem and/or router do that. They don't care what phone line they are connected to as long as the modem can decode the analogue signals. The two are completely independent - in fact you could set an Ethernet network up without a phone line at although obviously you wouldn't have access to the internet.

Andrue
Pro

But..a thought occurs to me. Are confusing 'Ethernet socket' with 'Telephone socket'? Although they look similar but they are not the same thing. Are you in fact saying that you wish to relocate your router to another telephone socket but can't because the only working telephone socket is the one the hall?

Also from what you say the engineer appears to have installed the service correctly. It is not possible to have only broadband on a telephone line (it will be soon but not yet) so if only one of your lines was live that is the only one the engineer could install broadband onto. But then again if it was live I don't understand why you needed an engineer - broadband doesn't require it any longer. Did you also pay for a phone line installation?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Or could it be that the engineer installed a new filtered faceplate to the master socket, and that now broadband will not work on any subsequent slave sockets? Have you tried a phone in any other sockets and do you get dial tone?

Clumsy
Dabbler

@Andrue wrote:

@AlexHill wrote:

The old Internet setup was Router -> Ethernet -> Phone line. That allowed me to have access to the internet (Sourced from Router -> Wall) 

That doesn't right, unless you had some hitherto unheard of communal network. You cannot get Ethernet out of a phone line. The possible configurations are:

Ethernet <-> Router <-> Modem <-> Phone line.

or if you have a combined router/modem:

Ethernet <-> Router/Modem <-> Phone line.

But I still don't understand why you think choice of phone line is relevant. A phone line does not provide Ethernet. The modem and/or router do that. They don't care what phone line they are connected to as long as the modem can decode the analogue signals. The two are completely independent - in fact you could set an Ethernet network up without a phone line at although obviously you wouldn't have access to the internet.

Sorry, I must have mistaken "Ethernet Socket" For "Ethernet Port" in my first post.phone lines.

One was idle which was the one I was meant to use, the other was the Owners. There is a picture of the ethernet socket in my post before your reply that is very similar to the one I used to plug the Ethernet Cable into and use.

My setup was something like this Router (on) DSL Cable plugged into Router and into phone line.

Ethernet cable plugged into a LAN port in the back of Router -> Ethernet cable to Ethernet Wall Socket = All wall sockets would receive the connection.

I hope this makes things a little clearer. Sorry for the confusion. Remember I came for advice, as I do not know a huge amount about installations etc. I will take  pictures of the sockets etc when I get home on Monday which will hopefully clear up any confusion I might have caused Thumbs_Up 

Clumsy
Dabbler

@Mustrum wrote:

Or could it be that the engineer installed a new filtered faceplate to the master socket, and that now broadband will not work on any subsequent slave sockets? Have you tried a phone in any other sockets and do you get dial tone?

Good Idea, I will try this as soon I get back to my apartment! (Monday) Smiley

Andrue
Pro

Ethernet cable plugged into a lan port in the back of Router -> Ethernet cable to Ethernet Wall Socket = All wall sockets would receive the connection.

Yes, that's what I'd expect, I'm just struggling to see how using the wrong phone socket could prevent this working. The wall Ethernet sockets should be getting their data through a series of cables, one end of which is plugged into a router. This arrangement should not change regardless of which telephone line is carrying the DSL signal or even if there is no DSL signal available.

Although...is the router now in a different location and are you now connecting a different Ethernet cable into the back of it? Maybe the Ethernet socket wiring is such that you have to pick the right cable.

For instance in my house (which has had sockets scattered around ad-hoc) four of them are fed via a switch and one port on my main router, while the other is fed from a different port on the main router. My main router is in a bedroom and two cables come down the stairs, splitting off to different sides of the room. If someone moved in and sited the router near the original master socket they would only be able to activate four of the sockets. The other one is across the room and would require new cable to be laid or a switch to be installed where my old router was.

Sorry for confusion. Remember I came for advice, as I not know huge amount about installations etc.

No worries. If I'm sounding a bit short I apologise. It's just that I'm genuinely puzzled by the nature of the problem and how to help resolve it.

Clumsy
Dabbler

@Andrue wrote:

Ethernet cable plugged into a lan port in the back of Router -> Ethernet cable to Ethernet Wall Socket = All wall sockets would receive the connection.

Yes, that's what I'd expect, I'm just struggling to see how using the wrong phone socket could prevent this working. The wall Ethernet sockets should be getting their data through a series of cables, one end of which is plugged into a router. This arrangement should not change regardless of which telephone line is carrying the DSL signal or even if there is no DSL signal available.

Yes, that's what I assumed too it, shouldn't have been affected.

The only variables that changed were

1.  The Line that the internet had been installed on (Two Exist)
  2.  New Router.
  3.  New speeds (Much faster than the 19mbps I used to get! Doubt it would cause problems with the Ethernet circuit, though.)
  4.  New Socket plate.

I will update you will pictures when I get home Smiley Thanks for the help so far Andrue. I can see why my explanation didn't make sense.

Although...is the router now in a different location and are you now connecting a different Ethernet cable into the back of it? Maybe the Ethernet socket wiring is such that you have to pick the right cable.

For instance in my house (which has had sockets scattered around ad-hoc) four of them are fed via a switch and one port on my main router, while the other is fed from a different port on the main router. My main router is in a bedroom and two cables come down the stairs, splitting off to different sides of the room. If someone moved in and sited the router near the original master socket they would only be able to activate four of the sockets. The other one is across the room and would require new cable to be laid or a switch to be installed where my old router was.

Good idea! Yes we are using a new cable. I will look for one similar to the old one and let you know how it goes!

(Sold the old router & cables, will have to go hunting for one!)