cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little help please on routers

JohnP1066

A little help please on routers

It seems this is a question that's been asked many times, but having read a few of the reviews, I'm still not confident about which way to go. I'm hoping replacing the PN router will resolve various performance problems I've had since day one. After many conversations with PN the general consensus is that line and speed are fine ( although from my viewpoint, far from perfect) and that the issues I'm raising, mostly Wi Fi, are due to my 'environment ' I don't want to re-fight the battle here, but if I want better it looks like it's down to me to do something about it, either cancell and take a hit or upgrade the router, so I decided to consider changing the router.
First choice looks like Asus RT N66U ( looks about the right price too. I've no wish to go over a ton ). But I have a worry. Comments on the site suggest it has no automatic multicast function ( I take this as a negative comment, but I haven't the knowledge to understand all it might mean ) and one of the things I'll be plugging in will be YouView. So, will it work without any further adjustments being required ?
Second concern is installation. Are there some big 'Do's and Dont's' that I should be aware of ? Will I need to do anything specific with the PN modem before disconnecting the PN router and plugging in an up-grade ?
I'd be grateful for any guidance you can offer.
2 REPLIES 2
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: A little help please on routers

I use an Asus RT-AC56U & it is excellent. It has doubled the speeds that I was getting from the PN router.
I have full wifi coverage throughout  a large 4 bedroom house. Set up is very straightforward, & I'm a non technical OAP.
ricke17
Grafter

Re: A little help please on routers

Second post here gives instructions on how to configure the Asus for Multicast: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124042.0.html
Rick.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000