cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions about Plusnet before signing up.

VioletDragon

A few questions about Plusnet before signing up.

Hi,

So I'm thinking of changing from BT to Plusnet a friend recommended Plusnet. So i want to know a few questions. So with BT i want to have a Static IP because i have a Server which i access out about but for a Static IP with BT i have to pay 5 quid extra a month now i believe this is a 1 off fee? Second question. Can i use my own 3rd Party Router with Plusnet? Im currently building a pfsense router which is a computer build along with a BT Fibre Modem connected via WAN would i be supplied with a Modem with a WAN Port on it or what router do you guys use? 

Thank you.

Jack. 

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: A few questions about Plusnet before signing up.

Hi, yes a static IP is a one off £5.

As to routers, Plusnet supply their Hub One, which is rebadged BT Home Hub 5a. PN will not supply a fibre modem and it's not possible to set the Hub one to modem I(bridge) mode. There's no problem with using your own modem and router.

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VioletDragon

Hi,

Thats great. I have the Fibre Modem from BT which connects to the WAN Port on the Router or Server machine will it be the same settings for BT? 

£5 one of payment for Static IP can't be bad.

Thank you.

Jack.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

You'll just need to change the username/password settings in the router PPPoE configuration to your Plusnet ones see here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

What he said Smiley

@MisterW wrote:

Hi, yes a static IP is a one off £5.

As to routers, Plusnet supply their Hub One, which is rebadged BT Home Hub 5a. PN will not supply a fibre modem and it's not possible to set the Hub one to modem I(bridge) mode. There's no problem with using your own modem and router.

Hope that helps

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

If you're running a server, just remember the 40Mbps product only has a maximum upstream speed of 2Mbps.

VioletDragon

Thats great. 

Thank you guys.

Jack.