cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A fault or not a fault - who knows?

Swingle
Dabbler

A fault or not a fault - who knows?

For the past year or so I have been with PN Unlimited Fibre BB. I am expecting my max line speed to be (down) around 40mbps and (up) 2 mbps. I understand that it would be rare to achieve these exact figures. Estimated by PN the line speed may vary between 54.9 & 73 mbps and as checked on 28/9/2017 the current line speed was 38.6mbps.

PN on testing estimate the estimated line length to be 587.4 metres. I guess between exchange & home.

Estimated speeds are further backed by the BT availability checker results taken today.

Over the past YEAR I certainly have not received anything like consistent ‘Fibre speeds (40/2) that I was expecting. Having reported the ‘fault’ many times and have an ‘open’ ticket (159962718) at the current time. The past faults have resulted over the past year,  two visits by Openreach, change in master socket, faults at the exchange, faults at the cabinet, damage to cables. I have changed positions of router, swapped micro-filters, connected immediately into the master socket. Carried out speed tests both via Wi-Fi & Ethernet throughout all the above trial. I’ve waited for the line speed to stabilise but whatever I do nothing seems to increase the download speed. Upload speed hovers around 1.8mbps (which is stable and considered acceptable)

The ‘standard’ position of the router is 3mts away from the master socket, on fixed cabling installed by BT.

Occasionally when I have carried out any changes myself i.e. swap micro filter, moved the router I notice that my IP profile rises to around 38mbps (when tested via BT speedtester) but a few days later the IP profile drops back down to around 18 – 20 mbps (or less). This is the scenario that causes me to think the latest ‘repair’ fixes the problem, I therefore close the PN ticket only to find a few days later we are struggling to even achieve a speed greater than 6 – 9mbps. I then wait a time, find the likes of BBC iplayer is buffering and report the ‘fault’ once again to PN. It’s as if the ‘line’ becomes saturated the longer it’s in use and therefore the speed decreases.

PN don’t seem to have been able to get on top of this problem and as I am coming to the end of my contract don’t know whether a change in ISP is called for.

Does this sound like a PN or Openreach problem and how long is it reasonable to go on paying for something that I am clearly not getting? PN state that I should achieve Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed for the ‘unlimited fibre extra’ service at 48mb. How come they can only achieve 50% of the stated line speed i.e. max 20mb for the 40mb ‘standard’ fibre service?

Thank you for reading. I would welcome your help and comments, this is becoming more and more frustrating.

6 REPLIES 6
bluewhale
Rising Star

Re: A fault or not a fault - who knows?

which router are you using, are you using the old bt modem or the routers own vdsl

if using the plsunet one ( aka hh5 ) you can see things like the snr/how often drop outs are occuring on the troubleshooting tab

you might want use routerstatshub to log what is going on

regarding moving, yeah i'm in the same position with not knowing where the fault is, ie with openreach or plusnet and if with openreach whether another isp will get stuff done, in the past i would have said stay with plusnet every time as their customer service and knowledge is one the best, but my recent experiences have undermined this

Swingle
Dabbler

Attached is the latest from BT speed tester using Wi Fi, with less than 1 metre between Hub & PC. Router stats also attached

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

You need to do this with an Ethernet cable plugged in to the test socket (the one behind the master socket faceplate) via a filter with no phone connected. Then do the further duagnostics. This will eliminate any internal wiring and any WiFi frequency conflicts.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Swingle
Dabbler

In my long winded post you may notice that I have tried all sorts of way of carrying out speed tests including many times within a 24hr period. That particular test was done today via wifi mostly I test with ethernet. There is relativity NO CHANGE seen in the method used to test.

Over the whole period even with Openreach replacing master socket face plates and inspecting internal wiring there is relativity NO CHANGE in the low down speed. That's my problem

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You say you have had a new master socket. Is it one with a separate socket to plug the router in? If so it is filtered, so not sure why you are still using micro filters?

A copy of the info from the help desk tab on your router may help people diagnose your issues, making sure you hide any personal info such as username.

Testing should be done via a wired connection, and you shoud ake sure no other apps on your PC/Laptop are using the internet at the same time, nor any other devices.

Swingle
Dabbler

Here is the reply I've recently received from PN;-

"Plusnet: I have tested your line and can see that your speed is below the estimate for your line. there are some settings on your line which are affecting the speed, your router will need to be powered off for 10 seconds and then turned back on. Sorry for the inconvenience caused."

Within hours of re-setting my router and using a wifi link (rather than ethernet) I am receiving speeds above 35mbps.

I am hoping someone will be able to explain why PN seem to be re-setting my line every couple of months. Again, is this a PN  or Openreach issue?  This must be the third/fourth time that PN have done this.