Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit of advice really

CooLix
Dabbler

A bit of advice really

Hi All,

Had a line fault (drop cable break), so after a period of settling, Plusnet say line is now ok. However, my line stats, in my opinion, don't appear normal. My original speed was 76 down, 19 up. I know things have changed over the last year or so, but since the line repair I only get 54 down and 10 up.

BTWholesale shows down IP profile of 57 down and an up profile of 20.

Is that the best I can expect these days? If so, fair enough.

Ticket number is 132573025

TIA

9 REPLIES 9
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: A bit of advice really

Out of interest, what sort of issues do you have with speeds such as that.

Here in 'copper kingdom telephone line country'' 5mb down and less than half of that up is not much of a problem. Perhaps we are too easily pleased here in Wales! 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

2 year ago i took out fibre for the first time too, and for the first 6 months i had 75 down 19 up then one day i had a discconection when i reconnected i was getting 62 down and 18 up... after much questions i was fobbed off with it could be too many people in my area getting fibre either way i feel they capped my speeds. I still have the 80/20 package 2 years on and im still around 62/18 on a good day.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@St3 wrote:

for the first 6 months i had 75 down 19 up then one day i had a discconection when i reconnected i was getting 62 down and 18 up...

Same thing happened to me a while back. Openreach said the cab port I was on was only giving out the slower speed as of then so they moved me and I got my 75ds back.

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

i think they cap customers, and the reason i think this is because a friend who is wilt plusnet has had the samething done with his connection and he lives 1 mile away from me.

Luckily for me im not longer in a contract so when the right deal comes my way i may just take it.

CooLix
Dabbler

I don't have an issue with speed and if that is the speed I have, that is fine. I suppose I have more of a technical curiosity as to why a line drop replacement (old damaged cable to new) results in BT Wholesale test showing a low IP profile for download and an upload speed of half of the IP profile.  When the cable was damaged, I was getting higher.

As someone has said on this thread, it does "appear" to be a capped upload.

With my technical naivety in this area, I would have expected with the current upstream IP profile of 20 with a speed of 18 ish. Similar to what my download IP profile is. A profile of 57 with a speed of around 54 seems more tangible. 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Perhaps the engineer didn't clear down the DLM on the cabinet after performing the line drop replacement. And the cabinet took exception to the sync dropping when the engineer was working. So DLM on the cabinet has dropped your speed in an attempt to maintain a stable line speed. Assuming the sync stays, the cabinet DLM may increase your speed in time.

Just conjecture but worth a thought.

How long has it been since the line was swapped? DLM adjustments can take anything from days to months unfortunately and have a mind of their own.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @CooLix looking at the estimates for your line (50.6Mbps-66.4Mbps download) there's unfortunately not much we'd be able to do on that side of things as you're in sync at 59.9Mbps and well within the estimates.

Although I appreciate it may appear we're capping your upload, I can't see anything on your account to suggest we are (In fact, as you're still on the old network, I don't believe we can through the account)

Testing your connection shows your upload is in sync at 19.7Mbps, but I can see the performance test you ran recorded maximum upload speeds of around 8.5Mbps. So even though there's not much we can do on the download side of things, it may be worth raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net regarding the poor upload speed you're seeing.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
CooLix
Dabbler

Hi HarryB,

Thanks for the reply.

Before I raise a fault, are you able to confirm that, according to your systems, i am still on a 80/20 product please?

I find it a bit of coincidence, that since my line drop cable issue, I have reconnected a speed of around 55/10.

Many thanks

Steve

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

You are provisioned on 80/20 and your account shows an 80/20 product.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet