Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9pm.... LAG, now happening every day

andymurdoch
Grafter

9pm.... LAG, now happening every day

As the subject suggests.
Last month the quality of my service has gone through the floor - was stable for best part of 10 months, on fttc, 70 meg down, 20 up.
Speeds still similar but interleaving / DLM kicked in at xmas for a couple of weeks and seems to have backed off again thankfully, however now, for about the last 4 weeks getting huge ammounts of packetloss and ping spikes from about 9pm onwards.
its pretty much the same every weekday so im assuming its capacity related somewhere along the line?Huh
just started a thinkbroadband ping monitor (which is a little useless as the ping issues are patches of lag and that only records a few minutes i think) - but need to do something, for the gaming I do the services is pretty much useless after 9pm at the moment.
21 REPLIES 21
AndyH
Grafter

Re: 9pm.... LAG, now happening every day

Which exchange are you on?
andymurdoch
Grafter

St Albans - have been for 12 months pretty much, oh and roughly 150m to the cab, less than 3k to the exchange  Sad
brand new wiring from the DP on the outside of my building direct to the Openreach modem due to a bit of a cockup during the initial install  - all had to be redone.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Your connecting with a different log in from what I can see.
You should be using username@plusdsl.net however your currently connected withusername@plus.net
This will be giving you a incorrect traffic management profile and may not be helping things.
Can you change it and see how you get on?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
andymurdoch
Grafter

thanks for the reply - just amended this now (please be aware this username on the forum was associated with an old account, im now connecting using aemur****@plusdsl.net as recommended and have just rebooted router / reconnected using new deets).
Kind of a waste me paying for all that plusnet PRO for the last few months.
Will see tonight how it affects things.
cheers
andymurdoch
Grafter

Further to this, unfortunately unplugged the plug which feeds my router, and openreach modem tonight for 10 mins while moving furniture.
Problems seem to have returned, exactly same symptoms, 8pm.  Following changing the username before it seemed to help a lot - now, username is correct but ping/stability issue has returned.
DLM hasnt kicked in, all seems fine - same ping as before, was just a single power off/on of the openreach modem.  What to do now? Sad
thunderer
Grafter

Matthew.
I don't know what's going on, but my speed tonight collapsed from 55 Mbps to 22 for no reason at 2048.
I tried to do the advanced diagnostics on BTW speedtest and it failed to connect & connection went down.  Huh
Did a reboot of PC & re did my router settings and rebooted it and it all came back online again. Any ideas?
AndyH
Grafter

@ Slu - I wouldn't both with the pro add on. It's a waste of money. Can you run the BT Speed Tester http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and Further Diagnostics? If you fail this test (shows red) then it will give you the next step where you login with a test account.
andymurdoch
Grafter

Issues seem to have come back yesterday and tonight with a vengance Sad

huge batches of packetloss, and large jumps in ping while in game.  ^^ this was the last 24 hours
dick:quote
AndyH
Grafter

This looks like some kind of fault.
Can you try disconnecting from your router and then turning the OR modem off for 10 mins/back on again and reconnect?
andymurdoch
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
@ Slu - I wouldn't both with the pro add on. It's a waste of money. Can you run the BT Speed Tester http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and Further Diagnostics? If you fail this test (shows red) then it will give you the next step where you login with a test account.

just seen your reply coming back to this topic tonight.
Test shows me at 31meg down, 13.55 meg up and latency at 40.
speedtest.net has me at 55 meg down, and 17 up (i ran this as i know previously i had 65/19 on speedtest.net for comparison).
It also gave me a red bar on download speed - so something isnt right here...
Following the additional tests - changed the username and ran the 3rd set of tests, results were
49 down, 2.26 up
then gave the message:
Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.
andymurdoch
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
This looks like some kind of fault.
Can you try disconnecting from your router and then turning the OR modem off for 10 mins/back on again and reconnect?

Yep, have rebooted the router earlier today - will give it a full 10 min power cycle now and see how it goes - really odd, service has been okish again untill today.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our testing isn't showing any major issues with the line although the username has gone back to @plus.net again.
The sync speed has dropped from 63 to 57 so it is below your estimate by around 12mbps.
Do you have a live link to your ping graph?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
andymurdoch
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
Our testing isn't showing any major issues with the line although the username has gone back to @plus.net again.
The sync speed has dropped from 63 to 57 so it is below your estimate by around 12mbps.
Do you have a live link to your ping graph?

Hi there - I just logged in to check up on it today (last night, i switched back from the test domain once the testing was complete - were you suggesting i should have left it?)
Live graph is here : http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/080a99d8e767d83d2625946a4ba99e7e.html
Worryingly - it seems its not resonding to ping since i changed settings back last night, although i was fairly sure the BB was back up again (I was using it overnight on my iphone over wifi, athough it may have jumped to 4g, but also tried using from my PC over 100mbps cat5e).

:edit: I disconnected the PPPOE session at 10pm, then powered off the OR modem for 10 mins, then reversed the proceedure, from what i could see the router did connect back up again and was online - and I had changed the username back to my plusnet u/n
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It sounds like somehow the routers settings have been changed.
You didn't reset the router by any chance did you?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team