cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8800AXL R2 - how to check VDSL uptime / line errors etc?

harryw66
Grafter

8800AXL R2 - how to check VDSL uptime / line errors etc?

Hi,
I have recently changed from a NetGear D7000 to 8800AXL R2 - mostly to eliminate the possibility that the Netgear router was faulty or possibly causing the issues I had been facing....

I have been having issues with my fibre broadband over the past few weeks - but whereas with the D7000 it was fairly obvious how to check when the VDSL went up or down / and note any line errors etc - I am not sure what I should be checking on the 8800AXL

I can see System UpTime under Device information - but I suspect this is just how long the router has been powered on.
I can also see Connection Time under WAN - but I am not sure this truly correlates to when we have lost internet activity. E.g. at one point it sais 2:13:27 - but we lost internet connection from both wired and wireless devices just under an hour before that point.

Also, under Statistics->xDSL - can someone please advise which of these might suggest problems with the Fibre connection? Or any where else?
Also, under System Log - why does the time show as Jan 1 00:00 - rather than the true date and time? Is there a specific entry which indicates a VDSL disconnect? And how to determine when it happened - if the date and time are Jan 1 00:000 etc?

I have been having several issues with my broadband and telephone line over the past year or so, each time they seem to fix it and things are OK for a while and then I  have problems again after a few months.

Many Thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: 8800AXL R2 - how to check VDSL uptime / line errors etc?

I can't help with the Billion, but I have a D7000 and run DSLstats and upload them to MyDSL webstats to keep an eye out for any issues on my line.You can see how to here http://simonmcc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/netgear-d7000-100uks-nighthawk-ac1900.html

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I don't have one of these devices, but out of curiosity I've just looked up the User manual.  Looks a nice piece of kit with a lot of helpful diagnostics built in.

To answer one of your queries:
Also, under System Log - why does the time show as Jan 1 00:00 - rather than the true date and time? Is there a specific entry which indicates a VDSL disconnect? And how to determine when it happened - if the date and time are Jan 1 00:000 etc?

Have you set up the clock?  Two options:

1. Synchronise with the PC  Use the SYNC button in the Status / Device information. Page 38
  2. Use NTP (see page 123)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

harryw66
Grafter

Thanks - will check the Sync options.

IF anyone else can comment on  the other questions that would be great.

Thanks.