Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80MB FTTC install, which modem?

studuckson
Grafter

80MB FTTC install, which modem?

Hi all,
Just signed up to the 80MB Fibre Extra package with phone line (nice Fibre discount plus £150 Quidco cashback!) as my Fibre cab has just been enabled in the last couple of weeks, coming from TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+ (well with XILO not TalkTalk directly but TalkTalk equipment in the exchange)....fingers crossed there wont be a hiccup on install being on LLU at the moment!
Anyway i have an Asus RT-AC68U router (N, AC, 2.4GHz, 5GHz) so will be plugging a fibre modem into that, currently using a Netgear DG834GT in modem mode plugged into the WAN port on the Asus.
As BT are coming to install the fibre faceplate and test the connection i assume they give me a Fibre modem and if so what model is it?
Just wondering if its worth keeping or buying something prior you see!
Sorry for the long winded post.  Embarrassed
27 REPLIES 27
studuckson
Grafter

Re: 80MB FTTC install, which modem?

DELETE!
WWWombat
Grafter

Likely to be an ECI modem, or a Huawei HG612. Both are locked, so you won't get to see any statistics. Otherwise, both seem to work OK.
The HG612 can be reflashed to make the statistics visible, if you aren't intimidated by that idea; the ECI can only be made more open with soldering. Otherwise pre-hacked HG612's are available from ebay.
Replacing the features of the Asus with something comparable plus VDSL2 support will be expensive; the current Asus model that includes VDSL2 seems to be not well liked by its users.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
studuckson
Grafter

Thanks. I got the Asus RT as it gives me more flexibility, also read of the DSL version problems so wanted to avoid that.
Does Fibre require a login and password and if so will I get them from Plusnet at some point?
WWWombat
Grafter

Yes, it does use an id & password, but you probably know them already.
Id is usually of the form "username@plusdsl.net", where the username is the same as used to get onto the portal. Password is the same too.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
sjptd
Grafter

You probably knew but just in case ... The userid/password is needed by the router (or router side of combined modem/router) to establish the PPPoE connection.  Nothing is needed by the modem to establish VDSL connection..
studuckson
Grafter

Cheers guys. I was with Plusnet many moons ago so should of remembered!
Yep my current adsl setup is pppoe with username and password.
Edit
Do the BT supplied modems default to 192.168.1.1?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The standard BT modem is supplies locked and doesn't have an IP address.  As sjptd said, it is used to establish a PPPoE connection your router acquires a public IP address as a result.
studuckson
Grafter

OK, i assume if i unlock it it would then need an IP?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The normally unused LAN2 port of the modem is on 192.168.1.1
studuckson
Grafter

Just thought i'd update to say BT (or rather the sub contract firm) bloke gave me a HG612, he had some ECI's on the way but i explained the HG612 would be perfect. Cheesy
I might buy another HG612 and unlock it, although i'm happy with the fibre so far 24 hours in and have no reason to need it at the moment;

Having been on LLU with no DLM / IP Profiles for a number of years what is the best way of disconnecting the modem/router from the connection/sync to avoid any DLM problems on Fibre?
chrcoluk
Grafter

I use a billion 8800NL paired to my asus ac66u, works very well, I recommend that, its cheap and also small not much bigger than a hg612, and works well in bridge mode.  In addition I have managed to make it so I can fetch the stats over the WAN cable so you dont lose a LAN port for stats.
studuckson
Grafter

Aye but £66 is alot more than the HG612 is sold for on ebay.  Sad
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

It's looking healthy there, nice to see it's all good.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
chrcoluk
Grafter

if you want absolute cheapest then yes get a hg612.
it is an older bcm chipset, only firmware updates are when openreach release, syncs a bit lower, and you need to use a 2nd lan cable for stats.