Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 Speed Dropped & Slow

Excalibre68
Rising Star

80/20 Speed Dropped & Slow

Hi all,

I have had poor speeds now for over 2 months and not a lot of help from PlusNet customer service.

All I can say is don't give up and keep your ticket open, keep complaining and if you are lucky they will eventually get it fixed as in my case.

I have constantly maintained to customer services that there was nothing wrong with my equipment even after 2 Openreach engineer visits telling them so.

But all I got as a reply to my problem was "We have tested your connection and found nothing wrong" & "You are within estimates"

My 80/20 connection used to be 65Mbs Down & 19Mbs Up

The problem I had was it had dropped to 43Mbs Down & 16Mbs Up

Losing over 20Mbs on the Download

Eventually I got an Openreach engineers visit yesterday (3rd) and decided to grill him on the problem.

Again after doing his tests he found nothing wrong my end.

I asked him what could possibly cause the problem ?

He replied:-

Crosstalk, REIN, Frozen DLM and/or misbehaving port at the cab.

He then said seeing as you have had good speed in the past we can skip Crosstalk/REIN off the list and I'll reset your DLM and see if that corrects the problem and put in a request to have your port checked, but BT don't normally do anything about the port unless I can prove to them it's at fault and my tests show no fault found.

Luckily the DLM reset sorted out my problem and I am now back to full speed.

HOORAY !!! Cheesy

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
EVGA 980Ti Classified , Creative Recon 3D Sound , Corsair HX1200i PSU
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Sound System , Corsair Graphite 760T Case
5 REPLIES 5
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: 80/20 Speed Dropped & Slow

I used to be on 75 down 19 up then 6 months later it dropped to 62 down 18 up, i was told is could be ( Crosstalk ) which i think is lies.

My brother lives 5 miles away he was also on the same speeds as me with plusnet, and the same thing happened to his connection about the same time too.

I think bt did somthing to the boxes to limit speeds.

22over7
Rising Star

I have had the same suspicion, but don't really have much evidence, nor know how to get any.

Here is a graph of my speedtest results, going back to when I was on ADSL with Demon.

TBB speedtest results, from before mid 2014.

I'm synced at 66999/19999, with attainable 72560/24939. Speed tests lookm "hard limited", somehow.

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Do you both have BT Openreach modems by any chance ?

What was your SNRM before and after the speed drop ?

My SNRM before my problems was 4-5 and after I was getting 6-7 "It's now back to 4db"

I also noticed that FAST was disabled on my line and Interleaving was in place. "Both Down and Up are now FAST"

Check yours out and if any of the above are in place on your lines that could be the problem.

If so ask for a DLM Reset and give it 10 days to re-sync (Although I noticed the increase in speed within a few hours"

Also noticed that on the new PlusNet/BT network I lost 5Mbs on Ookla Speed Test where as on old PlusNet network I gained it back. "When you do an Ookla test it shows which network you are connected to (BT or PlusNet) "

Hope This helps

All the best. Thumbs_Up

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
22over7
Rising Star

@Excalibre68:

I was given an ECI modem, then when my speeds dropped about 15% I bought an HG612  that I unlocked (to see kitz dslstats) -- my speeds recovered a little: about 5%. I'm connected to a Huawei cabinet.  

As for SNR, my SNRM is now 7.9(d)/15.3(u).  Actual SNR I'll have to dig out, though xdslcmd info gives same values for what it calls SNR. I've no idea now what it was immediately after moving to FTTC (2 years ago).

As for interleaving, it's "16".  I don't know how to check for FAST being disabled. 

Many thanks for your suggestions.  I'll google a bit harder into what info the modem will give up, and how.

My speed tests are pretty consistent at between 60 and 61 Mbs, no matter whether TBB (both versions), testmy.net, ookla (shows me on "plusnet"), dslreports, etc etc: I regard this consistency in itself this as a bit suspicious. TBB shows me as bursting to 62, then degrading to just above 60.

I can't really complain too much about my sync speed, compared to some. But the internet in general seems laggy and buffery these days, no matter what my DNS.  I don't know how to diagnose that. (My TBB BQM is pretty clean.)

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Hi @22over7

Sorry m8 I should have explained a bit better:-

If your vdsl stats show FAST on your download and upload you are good to go Thumbs_Up

If your vdsl stats shows interleaving on either download or upload instead of FAST then you have got a problem Cry 

I have attached some pics of mine now and as you can see I have an increase again now up to 68Mbs Cheesy

Notice DS Path Mode & US Path Mode both should say FAST and not Interleaved

Haven't had that speed since I moved over to plusnet from sky.

Your SNRM also looks a little high should be 6 or lower for a good solid speed and lower is better, mine now is 3db

All the best.