cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 days without Internet. Router not supplied.

MCchat

7 days without Internet. Router not supplied.

Plusnet switched over my line on 14 December. I still haven't received my router, so after today I'll have been without internet for 7 days. Plusnet are blaming Royal Mail, but my suspicion is that they don't have enough routers to meet demand. I'd be interested to see if they can provide proof of postage.
I'm very disappointed with the level of customer support. The team don't seem to have any tools at their disposal to resolve customer issues. The advisor agreed that Plusnet had made a mistake by posting the router only 2 days before the phoneline changed, when the router could take 5 days to arrive. She apologised on behalf of Plusnet. I suggested that a sensible way to resolve the issue would be to post another router and use next day guaranteed delivery. The advisor agreed that this would be a good solution, but they do not have an option to use any other delivery than standard Royal Mail. However, I've found mention on the Plusnet website that they do use alternative couriers in instances of extreme weather affecting Royal Mail.
I've raised an official complaint online (on 15 December), but I'm yet to receive a response from the complaints department. I certainly don't feel valued by Plusnet and I'll aim to take my business elsewhere, at my earliest convenience.
12 REPLIES 12
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: 7 days without Internet. Router not supplied.

Welcome to the forum MCchat.
How are you connected at present? Have Plusnet explained one temporary "workaround" to connect a computer direct to the BT Modem is to use a PPPoE Dialler using an Ethernet cable?
Other OSes are similar, there is specific info for XP here and a sort of compilation here, again although specific to those OSes the principles are the same for different Operating Systems.
HTH until your Router arrives.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The above advice assumes that you have a modem. If you were already on fibre with a previous supplier you may may be able to reconfigure the router you have with your Plusnet login details.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Very true, there is the possibility of no Modem. As self-install is so recent it's a case of not asking the right question, but it's easy to make the wrong assumption when people speak of a router rather than a modem/router.
@MCchat
Is this a self-install and you are waiting for a Hub One?
If so, maybe one of Plusnet's CRT might be able to organise one quicker than the usual channels if it hasn't arrived by tomorrow.
Have you tried logging into the Member Centre to see if it's actually showing one as dispatched?
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have just transferred from ADSL to FTTP - and the PN agent who handled the order acknowledgement omitted to order my new router. It was only because I raised concern direct to support, and they confirmed a router hadn't been ordered - they initiated the order and I got the router just in time the next day - delivered by normal first class mail - good going by Royal Mail at this time of year.
Anotherone
Champion

Did you mean FTTP or FTTC out of interest?
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

FTTP = I've written quite about the transfer process here - rather a rocky ride but successful in the end !
MCchat

Hi all,
Thanks very much for your responses.
My previous internet was with EE using a standard ADSL connection. The router is old – it's branded as Orange – so I'm assuming the PPoE Dialler solution won't work?
Also, thanks for the link to the order summary page in the member centre. It does state on the page that the router (Plusnet Hub One) was dispatched on 17/12/2015 – so hopefully it'll arrive today. There doesn't seem to be a record of a dispatch on 10/12/2015 (the date I was told the first router was dispatched). I urgently need home internet so I may have to buy a fibre ready router if the Plusnet router doesn't arrive today. Can anyone recommend a good router? (they look very expensive).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: MCchat
My previous internet was with EE using a standard ADSL connection. The router is old – it's branded as Orange – so I'm assuming the PPoE Dialler solution won't work?

Correct - PPPoE isn't an option (unless you have a friend who's had a BT modem and since replaced it with their own combined router/modem).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Just a further note of explanation, that's because modem/routers designed for ADSL/ADSL2+ only aren't compatible with vDSL (that's FTTC) whereas most modem/routers designed for vDSL are also backwards compatible with ADSL/ADSL2+.
You are correct MCchat, they are quite expensive. As you need a combined vDSL modem/router, one of the best deals around that people seem satisfied with is the Billion 8800NL. If you want to spend a little more money, the Billion 8800AXL has been recommended by a few people.
But going back to your original problem, one of Plusnet's CRT need to look into why the Hub One wasn't dispatched when it should have been, but also to make sure that you don't pay for the time that you've not had Internet.
MCchat

Thanks @Anotherone I appreciate the recommendation of the router.
Yes, you're right, someone from the CRT needs to look into why the Hub One wasn't dispatched in time. I signed up on 29 November, so they had plenty of time to get the router to me. Unfortunately they don't seem interested in looking into my issue – according to the website, they could take up to 5 days to respond to a complaint. Although someone at @plusnethelp has replied to my complaint on Twitter today – I'll see if that progresses anything.
I certainly hope, at a minimum, they won't charge me for the days I've not been able to use the internet. If they've any interest in customer loyalty, I'll be expecting some kind of compensation.
I would have already cancelled my contract. However, I paid for my phoneline in advance and it's passed the 14-day cancellation period, so I've been told I'll lose that money. That in itself is ridiculous, considering I was only aware of their error after the 14-day period had passed.
Anotherone
Champion

I think most of us wouldn't recommend LRS these days to new customers, it's not really a big enough saving now compared with the hassle it can give with the tie-in.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: MCchat
That in itself is ridiculous, considering I was only aware of their error after the 14-day period had passed.

If you bought both together, I'd argue you've bought a "package" - the fact you can't use Part B with Part A is Plusnet's fault, so although "within the T&Cs" I don't think they'd quibble about sorting this out.
(Withholding part B until you're out of the "back out clause" for part A sounds like it'd get them in plenty of hot water....(is that even legal??) so certainly something they wouldn't want to promote doing!)