Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 weeks to get internet?

timthr
Hooked

6 weeks to get internet?

Hi

I ordered an unlimited fibre broadband package last week (30th August) and during the process the only timeline given was it would be at least 10 days. Fair enough I assumed it would be a little longer than 10 days as that fell on a Saturday. But I just rechecked my email and then the order page on my account and it says 10th October!?!! Is that absolute worst case or is it an accurate assessment? Because no offence but if it's going to take 6 weeks to get broadband in I'll cancel my order and find someone who will do it quicker!
8 REPLIES 8
Luke_N91

Re: 6 weeks to get internet?

Hi,

I would say this is likely to be accurate, I placed my order on the 31 July and have been connected today (noon). Seems the delay is due to the availability of their providers engineers.

Luke

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The date depends on the availability of engineers to do the necessary work.

OpenReach are legally obliged to treat all ISP's as equal so it's highly unlikely you'd get a new connection sooner. Indeed trying another ISP could delay matters as you'd probably loose the engineer slot currently booked. 

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hello there.

Having a look into this, it's basically because of engineer availability in your area. I do appreciate it's a really, really long time to wait but there isn't much we can do I'm afraid.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timthr
Hooked

Bmc: Unfortunately you're correct it looks like I'm stuck waiting!
timthr
Hooked

Anoush: I thought two weeks was a long time, this would be unacceptable if I had literally any other option. I assume at the very least the first month I paid for initially will be my payment for the first month when I actually receive the service I paid for and no more money will be taken until after service has actually started?

While it may not mean anything at all at this point, but I will be submitting a complaint to ofcom - even a cursory Google search reveals Openreach 'engineer shortages' going back to pre-2010 so obviously they just don't believe this is a problem.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Anoush: I thought two weeks was a long time, this would be unacceptable if I had literally any other option. I assume at the very least the first month I paid for initially will be my payment for the first month when I actually receive the service I paid for and no more money will be taken until after service has actually started?

That's the plan.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
john_tandy
Grafter

well I'm in the same case I ordered on Sunday expecting a 2 week wait an been told the 5th of OCTOBER it will be done on also due to engineer availability makes me wonder if PN will be the correct choice we can but see

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

All providers use the same openreach engineers to provide FTTC services so it wouldn't be any different with another ISP, apart from Virgin of course who have their own network.