cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Ghz & Hub Lights

Han7
Hooked

5Ghz & Hub Lights

Ok so this is going to sound a bit bonkers but has anyone else found that setting the Hub Lights to "Low" completely kills the ability to connect to 5Ghz WiFi?

No idea how or why it's related but after spending ages trying to pin down why it wasn't working (authentication issue according to phone) I've tested it multiple times today and sure enough the same thing happens every time. As soon as the setting is applied every connected device is kicked off 5Ghz and they cannot reconnect until the setting is changed back and the hub is restarted.

The light doesn't even seem to dim, so this settings only function at the moment seems to be to kill the 5Ghz WiFi, lol.
3 REPLIES 3
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: 5Ghz & Hub Lights

Hi @Han7 

This is anew one on me... never heard of this happening before.

I'll give it a test on my own H1 tonight when i get home, see if I can replicate the issue, and get back to you tomorrow? 

In the meantime, tagging in @bobpullen to ask if he has heard of this before, Bob? 

Thanks,

MoR

Han7
Hooked

Hi,

Ok cool, thanks, it is a weird one!

I've moved most devices off of the 5Ghz anyway for now though. I was mainly using it for Google stuff (3 Chromecasts, 3 home mini's & 2 home hubs) but it also randomly disconnects them all at the same time every so often, even if they're using static IP's (a suggested fix from elsewhere). Again it also required a hub restart to get them to connect again, so it's not just the light setting causing it to stop working. When it happens mobiles etc can't connect either, they say it's due to an authentication error, just like when I change the light setting.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I too gave up with the 5GHz many moons ago - too unreliable imho.

And having run a wifi sniffer whilst turning my PNH1 light from dim to normal and back to dim did not affect the 5GHz signal. Though nothing here was connected via 5GHz during that 'test' -  btw I've always dimmed the light as imho it's a bit too bright.

What could be happening is..... If you're using a device on 5GHz, accessing the hub user interface and are using this to change the lights, then after you click apply, is it the data transfer from the device to the router causing what you've seen....? - doubt it tbh but you never can tell with these hubs!!

Regarding the light, due to it's position (45 degree angle) from where I am now, I can clearly see it go brighter. I wonder if a configuration/software corruption might be stopping yours from dimming.

There is a known issue atm regarding the wifi - yours could also be having this issue Sad