cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GHz dropping out and slow 2.4Ghz

JCDude

5GHz dropping out and slow 2.4Ghz

Hi there, 

I'm a new Plusnet fibre customer but I'm already very disappointed with repeated dropouts with the 5GHz wifi connection, giving an 'authentication' error. The first time this happened I didn't notice and used 1GB of data on my phone without realising.

I have followed advice on here to split the channels and my phone will connect to the 5GHz channel for a while before disconnecting and reconnecting to the 2.4GHz connection. This would be fine but speed tests show that the speed I am getting on the 2.4GHz connection is only around 10Mbps, compared to more than double that on the 5GHz channel.

Is there any way to stop the 5GHz errors. Or to speed up the 2.4Ghz channel? Because at the moment I am not getting any better speeds than I was with my old, cheaper non-fibre provider!

2 REPLIES 2
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: 5GHz dropping out and slow 2.4Ghz

You can try changing the channels on the 5g which may assist. This might actually help with the 2.4ghz, but can you confirm the speeds you're actually getting, and your sync rate.  I don't have your username (feel free to PM that) to check what you should be getting.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
JCDude

Re: 5GHz dropping out and slow 2.4Ghz

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I narrowed it down and it was actually only my phone experiencing slow 2.4GHz, my laptop and other devices seemed fine. So I tried to keep my phone connected to 5GHz and everything else to 2.4GHz.

But, in the end the almost daily 5GHz 'authentication errors' were honestly just too frustrating so as several other posters suggested I bought a BT HH6 and am now using that with no issues.

As a new customer this apparently known and well-documented router issue really doesn't provide the best experience.