cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

52Mbps Package??

Telephoneboy
Dabbler

Re: 52Mbps Package??

Yes speeds drop off significantly if you are over 1000 meters from the cabinet. You probably are unlikely to get higher speeds even if you switched to the 80/20 profile. This is just because of attenuation on a long cable distance.
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm over the 1000 meters...3km to cabinet so can't really complain about it.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Telephoneboy
Dabbler

See attached Graph for VDSL vs Distance
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Looking at that graph my speeds are pretty good to say that I'm 3km from cabinet, but, it doesn't take into account a clean or a noisy line to house, other wifi users round me etc. that can also drag down speeds. With me it's really just the uploads and that's why I would go for a 50 (or 55)/10. Would an upgrade to 80/20 do? I'm not sure because I don't know what the line is capable of but what's the point in paying for 80 (for example) if the line can only take 56? So 50 or 55/10 would do for me.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If you are really 3km from the cabinet your 37Mbps speeds are unbelievably good, have you got a special phone line?Wink By the way local wifi will not affect your router sync speed. I suspect you are a lot closer to the cabinet than you think.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@RealAleMadrid

According the BT link I've seen (but can't remember who posted it),  it says 3km from cabinet. I live at one end of the village, the cabinet is at the other end next to a police station. It takes about 25 to 30 minutes walking to get to police station from home  so based on those then 3km is about right. Thumbs_Up

EDIT.

Found the link, see attached..

Telephoneboy
Dabbler

Considering the 3Km distance that's impressive. You are right, whilst the 80/20 would give you more upload, you probably won't get much more (if any) download benefit from the 80/20 profile. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Pete11

That link is the is from the Kitz site exchange checker so it is telling you the distance from the exchange (in Westfield Lane) to somewhere around Mill Lane in South Kirby. It has nothing to do with the distance to your cabinet, I was very suspicious of your claim of 37Mbps at 3km, it just isn't technically possible as FTTC is likely to be struggling at around 2.5km and getting slower than ADSL.At 3km it may not work at all. So your cabinet is much closer as I expected, looking on the Codelook website I found cabinet 8 which serves the Mill Lane area, (there may be others) and using a Mill Lane postcode I get a very similar result to yours from Kitz for the exchange distance. (2.6/3.1km) You can find your cabinet from the BT DSL Checker

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker  This will also tell you the estimated max speeds for your line.

Codelook will give you a approximate postcode for the cabinet but it's not very accurate and you may need to hunt around on Google maps to find it or walk the streets.Smiley I think you will find the cab is not much more than 600m to 800m away, could be closer of course which will give you the option of higher speeds.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@RealAleMadrid

Mine isn't cabinet 8...it's cabinet 9 (South Elmsall), I live in South Kirkby but thanks for the info on that link, I'll take a look in the morning. Thumbs_Up

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Pete11 From looking at the approimate postcode for cabinet 9 it looks like it's on the corner of Green Lane https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5925985,-1.3279667,3a,60y,119.96h,72.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQOJCO...

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I seem to recall a few posts that you can't be given the 80/20 package if your line won't go above the 40 (or 55) or whatever speed is the lower.

Let's be careful out there !
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@RealAleMadrid

Here's what I got when using that link you provided...see attachment. 

(Notice FTTP on demand is available, but probably not with PN).

@jordanc1230

Where it shows cabinet 9. I am roughly a mile from it.

@Kremmen

I seem to remember reading posts to the same. It's not so much as download though..it's a matter of upload.