cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50% loss in upload speed since powercut.

anytbut
Grafter

50% loss in upload speed since powercut.

Had a powercut in my village a week back (lasted a coupe of hours or so) and since then my upload speed that was around 8meg after the recent upgrades has now reduced to less than 4.

Been plugged into the test socket with a different router....normal one is a very recently new hub one....and there's been no movement at all on the upload speed,staying sub 4meg.

Ticket was opened, on the 21st but no movement on it since, so i wondered of someone could have a looksee/give support a nudge please.

Thank you. Smiley

.....Just noticed when checking back on some old speedtest test results that when running 8meg it's listed as BT, but from the start of the issue it's now Plusnet. Guess it's unrelated but thought i'd point it outwwwwwwww.PNG

13 REPLIES 13
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: 50% loss in upload speed since powercut.

Sorry to hear that.

Our tests aren't showing any causes for this but I can see the upload speeds are poor.

Can you try rebooting the router to force a resync?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
anytbut
Grafter

Absolutely no change,3.81meg.

Not much else i can try, been through pretty much all i can do this end. The cut couldn't had damaged the cab at all could it?

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Just a thought, have you tried a different microfilter to connect the router(s) to the test socket?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

In that case we may need to send a engineer out.

There's no banding on the line causing this either.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
anytbut
Grafter

Let me remove the spare router and reconnect the hub one and re-test,though i doubt it'll change.

Will post back with results.

anytbut
Grafter

Ok, dl speed is very slightly better but upload is slightly worse using the hub one.

ssssss.PNG

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm glad to hear your speeds are back up.

How have things been recently?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
anytbut
Grafter

Still as bad as when i 1st posted / reported the fault.

Download has pretty much as always been ok, but the upload is still around 50% less than a few weeks ago... and when the max was 8meg,you notice when it's pretty much half of that as of now.

Chased the ticket up yesterday after having no response on it from the date sent in (21st Feb), was told I'd have a update on the ticket by end of day yesterday, but only action was a notification of it being escalated the fault to a member of the team.
anytbut
Grafter

Ok, after a chat on the phone concerning this problem, PN seem to think it was a sudden spike in data usage that caused this, tho why this was flagged now i have no idea, also...would this mean i was *capped* because of this?Huh

I've checked back and at the time the issue started Feb 11th, that week would have been lower than usual data usage as i was bedridden with the flu that week, only major usage would have been netflix. I am a very regular Twitch streamer (3k followers so far) and in the past i have has sessions where i've streamed for 5-6hrs in one sitting and no issue was raised from PN then.

Attached logs from my hub one showing the speed pre issue (9th Feb) / directly after the power came back on with the problem (Feb 11th) and current speed after a resync yesterday (Mar 14th).

Also, my download has slowly been creeping up since, but upload is reluctant to get anywhere near the 8meg previously.

The o/h is due to phone in a request for a engineer visit once she's home as i wasn't able to this morning due to just being named on the account.

So, aside from this, is there anything else that can be done as the upload speed for me is vitally important with my Twitch streaming.

Thanks. 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @anytbut

I think the engineer visit would be the best course of action at this stage - it sounds as though the power cut may have affected something physically related to your connection.

Keep us updated and let us know how you get on once the engineer visit has been completed,

Best Wishes,

Dave

anytbut
Grafter

Hi.

Engineer has been booked for Monday 19th in the morning, will update once they've been.
anytbut
Grafter

Ok, engineer has been.

After his testing line quality is good all the way from the house to exchange. One thing he did see was the line is set as 55/10 and not 40/10,did say this might possibly be a contributing factor.

He preformed a line reset though and said give it 5 days to see how things settle but to let you know about the mismatch in line speed so you can check @ your end.

As tested line is at 55/10, this wouldn't mean that I'm overpaying on the 40/10 I thought I was one would it?

Will come back Friday and update to see where we are then.
anytbut
Grafter

Ok, update time.

10 days are up tomorrow (Thursday) and i'm pretty much where i was on reporting the fault as in download fine (gradually picking back up to post DLM levels)  / upload now around 3-3.5meg less than before the power cut.

If this was all i ever got from the upload then there wouldn't be the feeling of it was there once, where and why did it go, but seeing and knowing i had a 8 meg upload once then going to how the line is currently it's a bit frustrating. PN did call this morning to ask how the line was and to confirm i'm now on the correct 40/10 and not 55/10 line setting, i also relayed how things were as above and did ask why there has been no improvement, they couldn't give an answer but asked if i could monitor the line for 14 days.

All equipment / wiring is fine so i don't know where to go from here, so suggestions would be a great help.

Thank you. Smiley