cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40/2 Really how did i end up with this NEW CUSTOMER

shroomboy

40/2 Really how did i end up with this NEW CUSTOMER

Just thought I would do a quick broadband speed test after 3 days of poor upload speed and have found out my service provided by PlusNet according to what I have read is a 40 up 2 down or 40/2 service not what I was expecting.

Never knew there was a upload cap applied thought it would be just like next door he gets 6-8mbs up.

Download is good a 37Mbs but was expecting somewhere around 8Mbs for upload as stated in the estimated speed upload figures getting a crappy 1.4 - 1.8 - 1.96Mbs

Any way of resolving this feeling like I got stung over this deal don't want to be sitting for the next 12months kicking myself knowing I could have got better somewhere else !

11 REPLIES 11
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: 40/2 Really how did i end up with this NEW CUSTOMER

It is what the lower cost fibre service is.

You could upgrade to fibre extra.

Many of the lower cost fibre broadband packages are the same, it isn't just Plusnet.

I agree it is rubbish and Plusnet (and others) could be much clearer about this but it is an effective way of getting people to pay the additional £5 a month for the extra service as otherwise, for most applications, a 40Mb/s fibre service would be OK IF it had a decent upload speed.

BT do a 55/10 service, Plusnet don't.

I am the satisfied customer....
shroomboy

Just seems a bit crappy that I only now just find out that I'm capped for upload

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Is it affecting your day to day usage?  Or just a speed test?

As consumers are looking for lower costs, all of the ISP's are seeking out lower wholesale products, so I am guessing that you, like others were attracted by lower costs, but did not read the small print - actually its not that small. and its been the standard for over a year now.

shroomboy

I cant get the next level up Extra not available here.

They need to change the cooling off period on contracts to 14 days after your service starts would cancel in a heartbeat right now and find something better.

To advertise estimated instead of capped speed feels like I have been wrongly sold.

If I knew it was capped would never placed order.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A tactic that I don't think has been tried is reporting Plusnet to the Advertising Standards Authority for hiding a crucial feature of the package.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

It has been said multiple times Plusnet HIDE the upload speeds , in the Legal Bit at the bottom of the page Sad

OK plusnet will come along here and say you see it when you follow the sign up page !!

BUT i Agree it should have a more prominent place with the advertised Upload speed  , i would think its a easy thing to add to the home page .

Ps BUT Plusnet don't listen to its Customers Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shroomboy

Do you have a link to the legal bit ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

On Plusnet home page , offers there's a  link " what else is included "  right at the bottom of the page it says " Here,s the legal Bit "  .

what it says Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual speeds will vary. We'll give you the best speed available on your line, with up to 76Mb download speed and 19Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre Extra, and up to 38Mb download speed and 1.9Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/fibre/    Right at bottom of page

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
WWWombat
Grafter

@shroomboy wrote:

To advertise estimated instead of capped speed feels like I have been wrongly sold.

If I knew it was capped would never placed order. 

I agree with the others over the idea that PN should make the upload speeds clearer in their generic adverts.

However, they *do* give you the capped speed when it comes to the estimates made in the sales process. That isn't hidden in the "legal small print", but up-front, shown in bold, right next to the estimated download speed.

I've attached the page for my property, which would get 100/30 speeds if BT let it.

Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I cannot understand why PlusNet don't make the basic Unlimited Fibre the BT 55/10 package, offer a Cheapest Fibre option of 38/2, and a Premium Fibre Extra of as fast as it can go (Currently upto 76/20). They used to offer 38/20 by restricting a 76/20 and made a profit on it, which they replaced with 55/10 as it saved them money. Obviously the wholesale price of 38/2 is even less.

A review of product range offered could well be a commercial boost in place of less than happy customers, speed is nearly always the key issue in people's perception of Plusnet, reliability and cost aside.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Does any ISP offer more than 2 FTTC packages?

How much profit do you imagine Plusnet made on the 40/20 service when it would have cost them £16 per month ex. VAT just for the 80/20 port cost? Unlimited Fibre was presumably still £17.49 per month without line rental, so £14.57 ex. VAT at 20%. The wholesale cost for 55/10 is £15 per month ex. VAT, which just goes to show that all the profit is on the line rental.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Plusnet are doing the low-end packages, leaving the higher-end packages for BT. If Plusnet aren't selling what you want, it's quite simple, you go elsewhere.