Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

38Mbps product now only 2Mbps upstream maximum

AndyH
Grafter

Re: 38Mbps product now only 2Mbps upstream maximum

Quote from: goldenfibre
They can do what they want to suit them! It's all about Plusnet saving cost now.

How do you save costs when you risk losing customers?
I guess it was either going to be the decision to provision on a lower upload cap product, or re-introduce usage allowances.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It also gives a bigger differentiation between the Unlimited Fibre product and Unlimited Fibre Extra, saving money isn't the only factor here we have to consider a range of reasoning and data before making any decision on the products we offer.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@ Chris. Are u willing to get Add Ons (upload boost) for £5 extra a month? But I think it might be no sense at all because 80/20 cost £19.99 a month if 40/2 cost £14.99 and get a boost upload add ons then it will cost £19.99 for 40/10.
chenks76
All Star

why don't PN offer the 40/10 product as well as 40/2 and 80/20?
that would give those who want faster upload the option of taking it without having to take the 80/20 product.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Yeah I agree ^
Plusnet should offer three products 80/20, 40/10 and 40/2
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: goldenfibre
@ Chris. Are u willing to get Add Ons (upload boost) for £5 extra a month? But I think it might be no sense at all because 80/20 cost £19.99 a month if 40/2 cost £14.99 and get a boost upload add ons then it will cost £19.99 for 40/10.

There's no talk of anything like that for that exact reason really.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

What about £17.49?  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I agree with what has been said - offer the 40/10 package, price it at whatever you need to price it at for your business, and let the customer decide if they want it. Simply removing it as an option is not smart. You never know, customers may find value in other parts of your offering (phone, customer service, TV offering etc), and would be willing to pay for a 40/10 service, but to simply not provide it doesn't make sense.
It has been mentioned that this change will only occur on new provisions. Presumably meaning that when I renegotiate my contract, it will not be the 40/2 service I will get offered. I think it is clear that it will not work like that.
I am pretty sure I will be told that I can remain on my current plan, or even take a new contract, but I predict that any good offers will be based on the 40/2 product, and the 40/20 (or 40/10) offering will not have any good pricing attached to it. This will be Plusnet's way of migrating customers from the 40/20 product to the 40/2 product.
For someone on a Market 1 exchange, this development is even less attractive, because Plusnet do not offer the deep discounts that Market 2 and Market 3 exchanges get. Most people on a Market 1 exchange are paying pretty close to full price (give or take a little) for their FTTC. So for this pricey offering to now mean only a 2 Mbps upload speed is a no brainer to move elsewhere.
I appreciate that Market 1 customers are probably only a small percentage of the customer base, but it certainly makes my decision to change provider a lot easier.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

My parents got 18 months fibre offering with discount for 40/20 but what happen if my parents contract finished - will my parents get discount for another 18 months if remain on 40/20 or will it reverse back to 40/2?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If Plusnet were smart, they would give the COT (Customer Options Team) the capability to put the 20 Mbps

MattyC replied as follows:
Whilst I can't guarantee it, this may happen if it's a dealbreaker. It makes sense logically anyway.

I strongly believe that when push comes to shove, this is what will happen. Customer support & retention are important to PN, otherwise why would they go to the expense & trouble of having a UK call centre? I'm well aware that their recent rapid expansion has caused problems but they are catching up. As an example, the number of moans & complaints on both this & the feedback thread are considerably smaller than a couple of years ago.
Please don't compare PN to Talk Talk! I was a long standing & content Aol customer until TT took over. It took less than 3 months for me to jump ship because of their totally useless customer support. The final straw was calling the call centre in Durban, RSA on a Friday afternoon. I could hardly hear the operative because of the horrendous background noise. He laughingly told me it was because they were all drunk!!!! Roll_eyes
Estragon
Rising Star

@goldenfibre
TalkTalk seem to get a reasonable take-up on 38/2  :P. I expect Plusnet will. Just like I joined from IDNet 38/10 when 38/2 was Plusnet's only FTTC offering. It didn't stop me.
To the people talking about the cost difference to Plusnet, please use the Vat-exclusive prices as in effect that is what Plusnet pay. Vat has no relevance at all to the discussion except for the final end-user price. Even then, Plusnet only end up receiving the net price - the Vat we pay them goes to HMRC.
Note also that I think you are all referring to Openreach charges to BT Wholesale. IIRC the BT Wholesale prices to ISPs are only visible if you have a BT Wholesale ISP account.
Both the Openreach and BT Wholesale prices will of course be subject to normal contract/price/volume negotiation, like many B2B transactions. So we don't know the actual prices.
Estragon
Rising Star

If the discount was for 18 months (or less) then at the end of the discount period they pay the full price. How would that not be the case for any product of any kind from any business?
You've already been told they will keep the 40/20 product. Whether or not they can negotiate a retention deal and keep it without dropping to 40/2 is a different question that no rep on this forum can possibly answer.
You may care about the upload speed if a cheaper retention deal but on 40/2 was available. Would your parents?
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Hmmm.... my first reaction was I'm not renewing then. However I still have another 18mths to go on contract and things could well change at both ends by then. I don't actually upload  that much in month so guess I wouldn't see much difference, will have to see when the time comes what they offer.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Like you Mayfly I will see what is on offer when my contract is up. What I will do however is reduce my tie-in with Plusnet so I can get out if I have to. This means not taking the TV offering and not renewing my LRS (which is due a little bit before my fibre contract ends).
If Plusnet are willing to renegotiate a 40/10 contract at a reasonable price, then no problem. What I will not take however is the 2Mbps UL offering. That is an absolute dealbreaker for me. I will do what most customers do when the contract is near its end, and that is look at all the other offers and make a choice based on best offering at the time.
chenks76
All Star

with the huge take up of cloud services (google drive, icloud, onedrive) then upstream speeds will become more important.
dropping it from 20 or 10 down to 2 could mean the difference between minutes and hours.