Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

38Mbps product now only 2Mbps upstream maximum

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: 38Mbps product now only 2Mbps upstream maximum

I expect we'll find out soon enough after nine when the CRT have had their first coffee.  Smiley
I'm hoping that, as previously, existing contracts will be "grandfathered" and the 2mbps upload will be for new customers only  Embarrassed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

What a step backwards, from having a product with a great unique selling point compared to the rest of the market , to now been the same or worse ( in terms of upload speed).
Most certainly looks like a cost cutting exercise , look at the price difference in upload speeds

Quote from: http
Most broadband ISPs tend to only offer the 2Mbps or 10Mbps upload options on ‘up to’ 38Mbps FTTC packages because they’re cheaper at the wholesale level (there’s an annual cost difference of just £6 +vat between those two levels).
By comparison few providers have adopted the 20Mbps upload profile since this is normally intended for FTTC services with a top download speed of 80Mbps (76Mbps) and thus costs £30.6 +vat more per year at wholesale when compared with the 10Mbps upload profile.

So the potential saving for PN are quite big, £36.60 + vat (£43.92) per year, per new sign up
I would have thought PN would have gone for the 10Mbps, seen as though it only costs £7.20 (inc vat) more a year over 2Mbps, says alot about PN , and where they are heading.

My area ( Market 1 ) is due for Fibre at the end of the year , with this happening , its makes BT, look even more attractive to move to .
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ricke17
Grafter

I am on the 80/20 product, so this should not affect me.
However, if this is a cost cutting exercise, it is concerning - is the company in trouble? 
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Yes, I would also like some clarification from Plusnet. New customers or not, it really does make the product very undesirable. As long as other providers are still offering 10 or 20 Mbps, Plusnet would be totally out the running for me.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Since I will be getting fibre in a month or so - BT permitting - this will definitely make me think about leaving Plusnet as I will probably have a line capable of 28/10 and a 40/2 product is totally unacceptable
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I was checking the website yesterday as my contract is due for renewal. When I saw the 2 Mbps upload limit I naturally assumed that it was a typo. A very poor business decision, unless it's meant to force people onto the more expensive product.
sjptd
Grafter

As everyone has said, seems crazy.  40/10 makes sense because of the savings from BT Wholesale (or Openreach?); but 40/2
The 40/20 product fitted what I wanted exactly; I could get around 70 download but don't really need it, but really appreciate the full 20 (18.7 real) upload.
Quite a few months before my contract is up, but  it looks much more likely I will be leaving then depending on deals available from Plusnet and others.
stevench

I rang up about this yesterday and I'm just looking at moving from Plusnet ADSL to Fibre and I wanted to check if it was a typo.
The CS rep told me it was a 20mb upload but to be honest he didn't sound that sure about it.
The only thing making me think its not a typo is for me it shows the 80/20 package as 19.5 upload so why would a potential 40/20 show 20 upload?
It made my decision very simple and I placed my order for BT yesterday.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

It's correct, not a typo.
New customers starting from today, and customers upgrading to fibre from an older product.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Luzern
Hero

Interesting speculative post in TBB orums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4414627-3820-dead.html#Post4414633
I did a check on my neighbour's number, and the PN site definitely has 2MB upload.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

I assume , you are not going to give the reason for this Matty :)?
I can only think its a massive cost cutting exercise, with a saving to PN of £43.92 , per year , per line
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

To be blunt about it, yes, that's the likely reason.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: MattyC
It's correct, not a typo.
New customers starting from today, and customers upgrading to fibre from an older product.

plusnet will not be getting my fibre upgrade then.
GeordieMark
Grafter

What about customers downgrading from the 80/20 product?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

i suspect they'll be provisioned on 40/2, as that's the product that's available.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'