cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 x Plusnet HubOne Routers in 5 Months

Reve

3 x Plusnet HubOne Routers in 5 Months

Been with Plusnet for around 7 years and been fine until around April of this year;

Internet performance began dropping and hub initially had to be reboot daily, then this increased to twice a day, then every few hours. Issues could always be identified first via wifi on iPhones, then on laptops.

Tried factory reset of router but improvement only lasted for a matter of hours.

A friend had a spare HubOne so replaced it with his, and everything was fine...for around 7 weeks, then problems began again. Same pattern as above where router had to be reboot to resolve issues.

Around 2 months ago my Plusnet contract was up so I renewed on condition of a new replacement router. Again same pattern; router worked fine until last week when problems began again, and now at the stage of rebooting router at least twice a day.

Any ideas? I've checked master socket, replaced filters, unplugged / shutdown various devices all without success. 

4 REPLIES 4
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: 3 x Plusnet HubOne Routers in 5 Months

Hi @Reve,

I'm sorry to hear hat you're experiencing this issue. In regards to moving forward with the investigation of this issue, there's a couple of things that I'd like to fist address. I've taken a look into your account today and I can see that, besides the reboots you appear to be doing from your side, the connection appears to be stable and running as we would expect. The only issue with this is that if the connection is being frequently reset as much as it is then it will eventually begin to cause speed issues, due to the Dynamic Line Settings limiting the amount of data being transmitted down the line in an attempt to stabilize the connection.

As rebooting the router doesn't appear to be resolving the issue you are experiencing, my first recommendation would be to stop rebooting the router and leave it online permanently.

Secondly, it's unclear in your post as to where this issue is occurring and so that we can narrow down where the issue may lie, please can you confirm whether or not you experience this issue solely via Wi-Fi connections or do you also experience the issue through wired connections?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Reve

Hi, thanks for the reply.

After further testing it appears the problem is solely with wifi connections. It dropped again earlier this evening for laptops, consoles and IoT devices so tried laptop plugged directly into router and it was fine.

Any suggestions where to start in diagnosing what seems to a repeated wifi issue? Why would the connection be ok for a number of weeks / months then get to the stage of needing multiple reboots per day?

I don't have the 2.4 and 5G networks sync'd, i.e. running with two separate SSIDs. Tried shutting down the 5G network earlier this evening, rather than a reboot, but this didn't resolve anything.

Could this be a client device somewhere in the house that's causing the issue? Do I need to try further config of the wireless network such as selecting a specific channel?

Thanks

N7ck
Grafter

I have been using the Hub One for about a month now and have had quite a few problems with it.

Personally I would recommend using a different router - I'm now back to using my Billion 8800NL R2

One of the reasons I decided to give the Plusnet Hub One a go was that I was interested to see if the wireless was any better, but since switching to the 8800, it is very clearly not.

With regards to changing the Wireless Channel, I use a android app called Wifi Analyzer which after connecting to your network will tell you which channels people around you are using.
You can use this the find a channel that less people are using and hopefully improve your wireless connection.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for the extra information.

When the connection drops do you get a particular error and do you still show as being connected to the router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team