cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 BTOR engineers, 19 days down, poor customer service!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: 3 BTOR engineers, 19 days down, poor customer service!

@CRT,
Is there a plan to review this issue so that the cause and fix is fully understood and can be "played in" as a "solution route" in future situations?
Through all of the attempts to fix / profile the issue...
1. Why was the stale session not identified previously?
2. Is the technique used obscure or new and can it be made more widely known?
3. Is this solution more helpful than powering off the router for indeterminate durations?
4. Who needs to deliver a systematic fix to the cause of this issue - PlusNET or BTw?
And on behalf of the OP will this be considered a service unavailable fault?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
First of all, I’m pleased that the connection was finally re-connected for schaff and I am very sorry that the issue wasn’t resolved much sooner.
Stale sessions cannot be easily identified, and none of the testing that we did showed that this was could have been the cause of the problem.
The fault itself was very rare, that said word has been spread across the team about this particular case so that, in the unlikely event that something similar comes up in future, we’d be aware of it.
With the hindsight of what fixed the problem, in my opinion, the results should be the same as powering the router down for an hour. Of course, sometimes the power down doesn’t work but this would be very rare indeed.
Due to there being a couple of ways to fix the problem, I’m not sure if it would be down to us or BTw to resolve. In this particular case, I feel that we both could have done more to resolve the issue.
The case was a service unavailable fault and we’ve dealt with that with that on the account in question.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
avatastic
Grafter

As the more intrusive line tests that can be done from the PN faults checker will drop the line, can not a step in fault (or even pre-fault support) diagnosis be to drop the PPP session on your end? I'm not familiar with RADIUS, so if it is like DHCP where the server has no way of telling the client "It's over" then fair enough, otherwise this should be a tool that is developed.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)