cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Eng visit, Still bad speed

Sunzz
Grafter

2nd Eng visit, Still bad speed

So today i had an bt engineer come as my speeds are way below the estimate. He checked so much and spent around 2 hours doing loads of tests in and out the home but said because of how many people around us are now on fibre its brought everyones speed down and we're suffering from crosstalk, and sadly nothing can be done by him. I upload alot of youtube videos and id also like to start streaming games but theres no way i can do it with the speed im getting Sad i really need some advice please guys

EDIT: It was only a few weeks ago where i got 50/6 and even that was considered low

speed.jpgadslchecker.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: 2nd Eng visit, Still bad speed

If the issue is down to crosstalk there's not much we can do I'm afraid.

Our faults team will look into this to see if there's anything we can do.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Sunzz
Grafter

it just seemed weird how 2 weeks back i had 50/6 and now iv got 40/2 lol. and this was after multiple power cuts

EDIT: Sadly i dont think he done a DLM reset as my ip profile is the same Sad

Malcky
Grafter

Has your service been capped to the 40/2 package that a lot of other users are upset about.....mainly the upload speed cap?

It looks like it to me anyway.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@Sunzz Crosstalk can occur at any point which makes it harder to track down

@Malcky The OP isn't on 40/2 as if they were their sync speed wouldn't be any higher then 40mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Malcky
Grafter

Thanks for the clarification there.....my thinking for any sync speeds 80/20 or 40/2 that those were just neatly rounded figures.

Sunzz
Grafter

Weird how I'm getting 40/2 though lol. I swear this is DLM. At one point he was away I noticed the upload sync was 8! Then it went off again as he was doing stuff and when it came back on it was bad again. So right now I have around 1.5 upload yet last night before the engineer came I had just over 3, surely this can't be crosstalk
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think it's unusual for a line to be this severely affected by crosstalk, if crosstalk is the only issue responsible. However, there's nothing to suggest it's anything to do with the DLM. The GEA FTTC test results would show if the DLM had set speed caps.

Sunzz
Grafter

hmm, the part i dont understand is how i had 50/6 a week or so back, we had loads of power cuts etc and then it was 30/3, now today its 40/2. ooo so iv noticed the stats have changed from earlier, i decided to use my bt home hub 5 for a little bit as well to see if it would help. ok so here was earlier after the engineer was herespeed.jpg

and heres the stats for right nowspeednow.jpgbtspeedtester.jpg

i need some wisdom lol

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

The difference being that you now have a higher noise margin on the downstream. 6db is the standard (at the moment) so that suggests to me that DLM has gone into 'protection mode' and is capping your speed. Time will tell if/when it relents but according to those stats your line ought to be capable of nearly 50Mb/s. Although if interleaving has been applied that max attainable can't be trusted.

Best thing would be to just leave it a couple of weeks then (and only then) trying a single modem reboot. Resist the temptation to keep bouncing it as that will only annoy DLM more Smiley

Sunzz
Grafter

Yeh i think youre right Andrue, i used to get 50/6 a few weeks back but i kept messing around rebooting the router, trying to "resync" it, then we had loads of power cuts Sad iv switched to my old home hub 5 to see if theres any difference and the noise margin is much higher on the upload, do this stats look more promising that over time DLM will sort it? stats06.jpg

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

There's two schools of thought on the DLM. One is that it will eventually bounce the connection itself when things have improved and look like staying that way. But earlier this year I was told that DLM never bounces the connection to improve it, only to reduce it.

Hence give it a few weeks so that it looks stable then bounce once to hopefully get a better connection. But of course 'a few weeks' could mean anything. I don't think anyone outside of openreach actually knows how long it takes for the DLM to consider a line as 'better than it was' 😕

The only thing we know is that you shouldn't bounce it more than twice in any fifteen minute period.

Sunzz
Grafter

right ok i get ya Smiley this 1.8 upload is killing me lol :P. iv purchased a HG612 so i can at least track all the stats and hopefully find sometihng useful out! im so lost in all of this Tongue