cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Mbps Fibre Broadband – Do I Win the Prize for the Slowest??

gsha
Dabbler

2Mbps Fibre Broadband – Do I Win the Prize for the Slowest??

Phone and Broadband were moved to Plusnet on 8-Dec-2017 (and Broadband also upgraded to Fibre at the same time), migration from BT went smoothly and everything completed as planned/scheduled, but…

from day-1, Broadband speed has never connected at anything better than 2.2Mb (down) / 0.9Mb (up) (at best), and whilst my expectations were never that high (house is at the end of an aerial cable approx. 2.5km from the PCP/FTTC Cabinet), I was expecting something a bit better than this, and certainly a bit closer to the Plusnet estimates (“your broadband speed should be between 5Mb and 10Mb). Line is quiet (checked using 17070 line test), and router is connected directly to NTE5 test socket (and with all internal wiring disconnected).

Latest connection sync rate and line stats (from router) attached (showing 2122bps down), and the reported connection/sync rates here also correspond to the BTW Speedtest diagnostics results (also attached). BTW tests always show a 2.2Mb downstream profile applied, and which interestingly, is exactly the same profile that was applied to my previous ADSL product (and which made me think that DLM reset had never been requested following ADSL/VDSL migration, although not sure how accurate/relevant some of these BTW figures are for FTTC products??)

I appreciate that a new FTTC service will take a bit of time to stabilise to its fastest/stable sync rate, but with no change/improvement I raised this speed issue as a query with Support, who agreed that “sounds like the order may have completed but the profile has not changed…”, and who then escalated this as a Fault for further investigation. Never heard back from Faults team however (still waiting, and that’s despite confirmation of call-back from them on several occasions now), and follow-up queries with Support to check on any progress just added to the confusion with conflicting/confusing comments from different advisors like…

Ok so the line is testing fine but the speed is showing at 2.5mbps which is not right…” - agreed with that OK!!

I have tested the line for you and it is picking up a fault…” - not what Support had said earlier the same day?Huh

okay from what i can see the broadband issue was resolved…” - what!!

Support always try their best to be helpful, but there is just no continuity or ownership of the problem, and discussions with them always concluded the same comment “This can only go through the faults team, and they will contact you very shortly…“, but I’m still waiting!!

Apologies for the long protracted saga here, but it looks like I’m stuck on a 2Mb Fibre Broadband service, and Support can only refer me to the Faults team, and the Faults team have so far never made any attempt to get back to me!! Not really sure how this will resolve, and I’m hoping that someone here might have a few ideas?? My expectations here are totally realistic, and in my remote location I’m not expecting to get anything close to a full 40M FTTC service, but something a bit better than 2M would be nice, and doesn’t sound an unreasonable ask!!

11 REPLIES 11
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: 2Mbps Fibre Broadband – Do I Win the Prize for the Slowest??

What speeds should you be getting, put your number in the DSL Checker and post the results?

gsha
Dabbler

Screenshot attached, and assuming worst case ("Impacted"), and that there will be possible wiring issues on the aerial cable between the PCP/FTTC Cabinet and the house, the VDSL Downstream/Upstream rates reported using BT's Broadband Checker are:

• Downstream - 13Mbps (high) / 4.9Mbps (low)
  • Upstream - 1.2Mbps (high) / 0.5Mbps (low)

and these figures here are comparible to Plusnet estimates of "between 5Mb and 10Mb".

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Ok, well it's not a stuck profile problem. From your line stats you are only synching at 2.2k, this is below the handback threshold. PN should be raising a fault with BT!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gsha
Dabbler

Agree, and Plusnet Support had escalated this as a Fault for further investigation (and confirmed on 11-Dec that "we'll raise this to our supplier for investigation...", but no idea what (if anything??) has been done as no one from the Faults team has ever got back to me (and that’s despite confirmation of call-back from them on several occasions, that never happened!!), and follow-up queries with Support to check on progress just refer me back to the Faults team who "will contact you very shortly…", but so far still waiting!!!

On 14-Dec a Support Advisor also informed me that "i can see the broadband issue was resolved..." (what??), and in the absence of any updates from the Faults team (phone, text, email, Support Portal, or anything!!) I've currently no idea if there's a fault still being investigated here or not?? An update from Plusnet regarding this would be good!!

gsha
Dabbler

Just had a call from Plusnet, and an Engineer visit has now been confirmed to investigate the problem further, and hopefully will soon see some progress Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems

Can you let us know how the visit goes? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gsha
Dabbler

BT arrived at exactly 8:00am this morning. Line tests and broadband tests were clear, and to be absolutely sure engineer checked/remade terminations on aerial cable between cabinet and house, and swapped pair on u/g cable coming into house (some signs of corrosion, but nothing significant), and changed Master Socket to newer NTE5c. He was working at this for about 4 hours (and full marks for effort here!!), but after all this repeat test results were exactly the same as before, and broadband still only syncing at 2.1Mb!!

Engineer reckons 2Mb at the distance I am from the cabinet is probably as good as it will get (despite Plusnet estimates of between 5/10Mb, and BTW broadband checker reporting downstream rate of between 14.1/7.9Mb). It’s all a bit disappointing (2Mb is exactly the same as I was previously getting on standard ADSL!!), and not sure what else can be done, and maybe just have to wait until 2020 when we might all get access to a 10Mb minimum broadband?

UK homes to get faster broadband by 2020

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

I am sorry for the poor speeds you have been receiving.

Please see Ticket: 163973062 for an update.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
gsha
Dabbler

Resolving the problem here with the offer of a simple "release from contract as speed is below MGALS (3.8Mb)" isn't the solution/fix I was hoping for here, and I'd been waiting for a further response/update from Plusnet Support regarding this, but ticket has now been Closed with comment "Question closed automatically after 14 days of (Plusnet) inactivity"?? Need to get this case Opened again please, as further investigations are still required regarding this.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sorry to say this, but if that's the solution they're offering, then that's the best you're gonna get.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @gsha

I've just reopened a fault for you with our suppliers and I'm waiting to confirm engineer date availability.

More to follow shortly via the ticket on your account (as linked above).

Thanks,

Dave