cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704n replacement?

f00lish

2704n replacement?

Hello
I've been on PlusNet for nearly a year now, and generally quite happy, on Unlimited Fibre Extra.
I have a static IP, and need to set up an IPSEC VPN into my home network (a Cisco ASA 5505), however I've been experiencing some issues  Sad and I think the cause is the 2704n not forwarding IPSEC properly as I'm not seeing it hit the ASA even though it's directly connected into a LAN port and can ping through to the internet etc.
Can anyone recommend a good router that will be easy to configure up to PlusNet? I have the Openreach Modem as well, it would be great if I could do this all in one box. Budget is approximately £150 (I can't see myself coming off fibre but presumably I can use a decent router with another provider if I need to in future). I'm reasonably familiar with Cisco stuff but it can be very pricey. I would prefer something that would let me log into command line, rather than the webpage GUI?
Many thanks for your advice  Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
SWebster
Grafter

Re: 2704n replacement?

There is an Asus router/modem that is meant to be good and also the Netgear Nighthawk D7000 which is pretty good. 
At the moment though, I am using a BT Home Hub 5 and this has been pretty good.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is it possible to configure the Cisco ASA 5505 to do the PPPoE connection, and connect it directly to the Openreach modem?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

should be able to do it http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/conf_gd/pppoe.html
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
f00lish

Hi many thanks for the suggestions of using the ASA for the PPPoE negotiation. I hadn't considered it, but having had a read of other forums, I might have issues with throughput to "normal" home devices that don't need to sit behind the ASA. The box is sitting at approx 60% of memory used (could be the OS version I'm running it on), without really doing much at the moment beyond NTP and an IP SLA ping I've had to use to stop the 2704n ageing it out of it's ARP.
I'm mainly using the ASA to protect a server IDRAC and some internal LAN Virtual Machines (not expecting much in the way of throughput) that I need to access remotely (hence the VPN).
I'm reading through some old threads now (i.e. this one: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126523.0.html) and trying to work out best way forward, it would be nice to replace the Openreach Modem as it does occupy another plug socket Smiley
If anyone reads this who is for example using a Cisco 887vaw at the moment - how do they find the performance?
Otherwise the BT Home Hub 5 seems reasonable price wise (sounds like Type A is better than Type B for port forwarding though - can anyone confirm?)
Robbie
Dabbler

I've just negoiated a renewal of my contract and got a Hub One thrown in. Be nice to free up a power socket  Wink